Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1010n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My HP Spectre x360 (late 2019 model) randomly locks in the middle of doing things. This could be watching videos, browsing, gaming etc.

I suspect this is to do with overheating and is an emergency response, however despite all my research I am unable to come to a resolution.

I changed my laptop to operate in Comfort mode in the command centre, and it still did this.

I changed the fan settings in the BIOS to be always on. The fans are in fact not always on, and late to come on - this has not fixed the issue.

Adjusting the performance setttings of the laptop has done nothing.

I did a complete BIOS diagostics (two loops) which found everything to be ok.

I tried to change the battery critical warning notification to do nothing - the laptop still randomly hibernates.

I also have all the latest drivers. What steps are left for me to take to resolve this?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Solasuke

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Next ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Also ensure you scan the whole Notebook for Malwares

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I already have all the latest drivers for both Windows and HP. This issue is still ongoing and it occurs even when the laptop itself is not particularly hot.

Please advise what other steps I might take.

HP Recommended

I've been able to dig into my event log and it states the following:

The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event.
Hibernate Time = ‎2020‎-‎09‎-‎27T12:25:22.934579100Z
ACPI Thermal Zone = \_TZ.TZ01

This is despite the fact that the laptop was definitely not hot. I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Please check and ensure you have the latest BIOS installed. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If the issue persists please perform a Reset. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.