Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop suddenly shutdown on it's own (after a brief splash screen which I didn't have a chance to read).  I was not using it at the time.  Just saw it out of the corner of my eye.  Now it will not start up at all.  When I try to power it back up, I can hear the hard drive spin up but then nothing appears on the screen (remains black).  The only sign of life is a slow blinking light on the caps lock key.  Hard drive sound stops after a couple seconds.   I've tried to do a hard reset by holding the power button down for thirty seconds but no luck.  Laptop is entirely sealed, no removeable battery or panels.  Any ideas?

Model: Envy x360 m Convertible model 15

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@jbmurph,Welcome to the HP Support Community!

As I understand shut down restart automatically,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you know that the fan is system-managed and cannot be changed manually?

Does the computer shut down due to overheating?

Have you recently made any changes to the computer before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the drivers and the Bios?

If you didn't, I'm afraid that's how the HP device is designed, making changes to fan speed may cause overclocking or over-throttling causing hardware malfunctions within the device and hence is not recommended or supported by HP.

If your device is overheating, please remember the below information:

NOTE: Generally, when temperatures inside the case rise above 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit), the risk of damaging important internal components increases greatly.

Also, to avoid CPU damage, we do not recommend throttling or overclocking the CPU, I recommend you refrain from using high-performance games on this laptop as it's not built for the same.

I would suggest you refer to the support documents as this will help you in resolving the issue.

Let's start off by updating the Bios, Chipset, and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer to this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

Updating your Notebook computer BIOS

Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean

Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat

Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes

Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

The best way to do that is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

If you have followed the instructions and still having issues, I would recommend you go ahead and run an extensive system test from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@jbmurph,Welcome to the HP Support Community!

As I understand shut down restart automatically,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you know that the fan is system-managed and cannot be changed manually?

Does the computer shut down due to overheating?

Have you recently made any changes to the computer before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the drivers and the Bios?

If you didn't, I'm afraid that's how the HP device is designed, making changes to fan speed may cause overclocking or over-throttling causing hardware malfunctions within the device and hence is not recommended or supported by HP.

If your device is overheating, please remember the below information:

NOTE: Generally, when temperatures inside the case rise above 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit), the risk of damaging important internal components increases greatly.

Also, to avoid CPU damage, we do not recommend throttling or overclocking the CPU, I recommend you refrain from using high-performance games on this laptop as it's not built for the same.

I would suggest you refer to the support documents as this will help you in resolving the issue.

Let's start off by updating the Bios, Chipset, and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer to this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

Updating your Notebook computer BIOS

Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean

Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat

Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes

Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

The best way to do that is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

If you have followed the instructions and still having issues, I would recommend you go ahead and run an extensive system test from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.