Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion X2
Does anyone know how to fix/ solve my problem?
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Try a hard reset. Remove anyhting connected to the machine-printer, usb flash drive,etc. This includes removing the power cord. Next press & hold the power on button for 10-15 seconds. Plug in the power cord and try again to start it.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

re: HP 10n113dx detachable laptop.  Nice machine but had same black screen problem as many others.  May be related to the Windows 10 upgrade.  I'm no computer genius; I just kept trying differnt things until I discovered something that worked!  Here is what I did while in keyboard mode (as opposed to tablet mode):  

1)  Right-click on Windows icon.  Left-click on Device Manager.  Left-click on Display Adapter, right-click on the listed adapter and  left-click on Update driver.  Waif for update to be installed.

2) Boot into the BIOS screen (hold F10 after doing a restart from the screen)

3) Don't change anything - just save defaults and exit and restart the machine.

4) Right-click on Windows icon, left click on Control Panel, type "power button" (without quotes) in upper right search box.  Click on Change what the power buttons do in the resulting screen.

5) Click on Change settings that are currently  unavailable.

6) Uncheck Fast start option check box.  Save changes and close the window.

7) Similarly search for the power management window that defines what happens when the lid is closed.  Set all 6 options for plugged-inand  and battery modes to sleep.  I set the screen to go dark in 10 minutes on both plugged-in and battery modes.

😎 Do several (like 4 or 5) hard reboots using a 20-30 second push on the power key to start the machine each time. I suggest logging into the machine during each reboot cycle but I don't know if this is necessary.  I just do based on good practices. 

9) That should do it.  

I found that using sleep mode by selecting sleep from a screen menu or doing a short push of the power button or closing lid puts the machine to sleep.  Battery consumption is quite low.  The battery loses 50% of its charge in 36 hours by my rough test.  The machine now never exhibits that infamous black screen when waking up from sleep.  

I also found that if the the machine is shut down (long-push the power key or screen command) it may require a long-push on the power key to reset the machine followed by a short push if you encounter the black screen.  Most of the time however just a short-push brings my machine to  life after having been shut down.  There is some weird dependency on the time the machine has been shut down which causes the black screen.  This is a complete mystery to me.  I also believe but can't prove that the "best" shutdown scenario results from selecting shut down from the screen after logging in.  There is a power icon available before logging in but I don't use it.

There is also some  crazy relationship that I don't understand between closing closing the lid while the machine IS DOING a shutdown therefore I wait until the machine is completely shut down (power light off) before closing the lid.  This may be fixed now but I haven't had the opportunity to research it.

You can see that this is not a perfect solution but my machine is now usable whereas it wasn't before.  I don't do a shut down unless that machine won't be used for a long time.

If you are happy with the results I suggest that you make a new System Recovery USB after doing all of this.

I will also say that I don't use tablet mode ever even if I remove the tablet from the keyboard.  My machine still has the "tablet screen won't rotate automatically" problem.  This seems to be uncorrectable and it doesn't bother me anymore.     What does bother me is that certain functions (such as the recycle bin and task bar) seem unavailable in tablet mode.  Therefore when I remove the screen I respond NO to the question about exiting from keyboard mode.  So far so good.

Hope this helps someone.  Would be interested in your comments - good or bad.

HP Recommended

Followup to my previous post.  Soon after posting, Microsoft pushed the new Windows 10 Creators update onto this machine and guess what, most of the old probems came back plus the sound was now intermittant.  Ultimately I found that the BIOS was at F.11; the latest BIOS is F.16A.  I followed the instructions on HP's support page to flash the BIOS and all problems became history.

I still believe that updating the video device driver described in the previous post was an integral part of the solution.

HP Recommended

Display driver is very often the culprit in black screen problems. Glad to hear you solved most of your problems. For the Taskbar issue in Tablet mode- go into Settings, System-look for Tablet Mode in left sidebar. After you choose it you should have a setting to disable the disappearing taskbar.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.