Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my kids note book says install operating system..error 3f0..i have a win 10 usb flashdrive..how can I fix this? Whatever I do comes up to administrator password..[i630681981] please help

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

So when you put in your USB flash drive, do you boot from the flash drive when you start up the computer? From the boot menu especially? and when you do it requires a admin password to proceed?

Thanks,

Terran.

HP Recommended

@Bigmike187 

You most likely will NOT be able to fix that with a Win10 flash drive because that code indicates a hardware failure -- that your hard disk is dying or has failed -- and you can't install Windows to a failing device.

This issue is often due to a failing drive. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I ran that diagnostics test and everything on it says passed..after I exit that..it goes back to the black screen that says install a operating system..error code [305]..thx for trying.lol

HP Recommended

@Bigmike187 

OK, thanks for the feedback -- so Windows PCs use two different sets of files to get you to a working desktop.

In terms of the first, Windows boot files, a way around that is to follow the instructions below to create boot media from Macrium Reflect (MR) that can be used to rewrite/repair the boot media on your PC:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from this link on a working PC: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

That will create MR bootable media. Then, you can boot your PC into WinPE using that media.

Have patience, as that can take a while to start and bring up the screen.

Once the screen is there, select the option to Fix Windows boot problems. It will then search for the OSs installed and list them, Select the one you want to repair and click Next.

It will now do the repairs, listing the things it has done.

When finished, select the option to Restart the PC.

If this worked, the boot repair succeeded and you will have your PC back.

But if it did not, the Windows system files are most likely corrupted and you would have to reinstall Windows from scrach to fix that.

HP Recommended

I'm going to try that right now..thx

HP Recommended

I can't even get to the boot menu..it pops up admistor password

HP Recommended

I did just what u said..downloaded macrium to a flashdrive..but it won't load..iim stuck on the boot device not found screen..hard disk (3f0)..f2 diagnosics..and for more info go to hp .com techcenter..startup..lol..i can't get past this..this is driving me crazy that I can't fix this!..thx for the help

HP Recommended

@Bigmike187 

Maybe we're just mixing terms -- but you do not DOWNLOAD MR to a flash drive; instead, you INSTALL it to working PC.  Then, you use the MR option to create a rescue disk -- boot media.  If you just copy the MR app to a USB stick, it is not going to boot.

Also, if you did create the boot media properly, then you have to get into the BIOS settings on your PC and disable Secure Boot -- otherwise, it will not boot from a USB stick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.