Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (103 Views)

My laptop appears to turn on but the screen does not.The caps lock &scroll keys blink simultaneously

Product Name: Povilion dv4
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
My laptop appears to turn on but the screen shows no activity. The caps lock and scroll keys are blinking simultaneously about four seconds between blinks.
0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 8 (78 Views)

Re: My laptop appears to turn on but the screen does not.The caps lock &scroll keys blink simult

1 blink, 2 blinks,3.. how many blinks between pauses?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Top Student
Message 3 of 8 (75 Views)

Re: My laptop appears to turn on but the screen does not.The caps lock &scroll keys blink simult

1 blink very 4 seconds, caps and scroll button simultaneously.
Provost
Message 4 of 8 (64 Views)

Unfortunately, 1 blink usually indicates CPU according to HP chart. However in real life tests most members have found it is actually the motherboard because replacing cpu doesn't resolve the problem.

You might try a hard reset which sometimes will work to get you back up and running.Disconnect all external devices first.

1-remove power cord and battery

2-press power button for 20 seconds

3-reinstall only power cord for first startup.

4-try to power on

Top Student
Message 5 of 8 (61 Views)

I tried the hard rest and no luck
Provost
Message 6 of 8 (58 Views)

[ Edited ]

As you can see from the HP chart-only solution offered for 1 blink is contact HP for repair. And if you are out of warranty that is not an option anyway.

I have seen members try to fix this 1 blink by searching for a compatible cpu to replace it and still get 1 blink. It has been determined that it is really the motherboard or the cpu socket on the motherboard. If you could even find a compatible motherboard it would most likely be a used one at Ebay.Then it would require complete dis-assembly of laptop install it.

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=NoPowerorBootIssues.net&section=ccweb&as=true&SFS=sdoc&os=wi... 

Top Student
Message 7 of 8 (53 Views)

Is it possible to have photos and documents removed from it? I don't use it for anything other than pictures and Word.
Provost
Message 8 of 8 (52 Views)

[ Edited ]

You could remove the hard drive and install it in a USB HDD Enclosure. Plug it into usb port of a working machine. You should be able to browse the hard drive and copy files over to hard drive of host machine.

Example:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3195233&csid=_21

Or faster USB 3.0 enclosure:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5540789&CatId=9825

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation