Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-ac151dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have checked for everheating ive checked power options i have updated the bios i have done everything i can to fix this and non if it has worked so far me and a few friends think its just a busted os but i have completely factory reset this laptop over and over again and no luck the specs

SSD: 120 GB PNY CS900 

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 KINGSTON 12800S

CPU: INTEL I5 5500 U2 (not 100% sure on this one)

GPU: INTEL HD 5500 

let me say that i havent had this problem this is the first time this has happend I have even tried to see if the programs are the reason that is cause this random shutdown but i get no errors no blue screen no nothing it just happends out of no where it almost looks like the gpu just quits but I would only be sitting here browsing the internet and it just black screens then shuts down and restarts completely and yes i have turned off automatic restart of failure it still does it and i have checked all temps on the cpu ssd and gpu and they all run at a really cool 40 degrees Celsius and sometimes hits the upper 50s even when stress testing the cpu to see if it would quit it wouldnt it would stay at about 56 degrees Celsius and i checked the power with speccy everything is getting optimal power and is running efficiently I am honestly lost on this one and would most definitely appreciate some help

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Xavier5

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Once it's done, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.
    if it fails, 
    I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/ 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Xavier5
I just wanted to follow it up with you regarding the random shutdown issue
Is everything working fine or would you require any further assistance? 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well the laptop ram and ssd is new but its hasnt really done anything till this second to last windows update then it started to act up and i have tried to check and see if its a hard drive issue becuase the ssd i bought was from a 3rd party seller i will be test everything and following everything to the best of my abilities and i will keep you posted but i gotta say i am repeating what i have already done but i will keep you posted

HP Recommended

@Xavier5

Thank you for posting back. 

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.

Meanwhile, will do my research on this issue. However If its a hardware related issue computer needs to be serviced.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done the bios factory reset and my windows has begun to say that it didnt boot up correctly which i fine kinda funny becuase I know for sure that its not the operating system im using becuase its windows 10 and i have it on a second hard drive and it does it there too but now its saying startup repair couldn't repair your pc

But it does show me where to go for the txt log file would you like to see that?

HP Recommended

But otherise i am able to still boot into windows just im checking to see if it will shut down again

HP Recommended

@Xavier5

Also, I recommend an extensive h/w test to identify the cause of the failure:

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Keep me posted.

Thank you 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I Have gotten no code and it did not shut down but last night in the middle of a discord call It had done it I have somewhat of a explanation

well the screen would go from a discord call to a black screen with all the parts of the screen in a like black mode if that makes since and then I would see that it had shut down completely

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.