Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Laptop keeps crashing after i connect to a dock. if it is turnt on and I put it in the dock then nothing happens, but if i connect it while i close my laptop then it crashes.... 

Does anyone how this happens?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

There could be an issue with the ports.

Use the HP Hardware Diagnostic UEFI utility to test the ports.

Is the dock known to be compatible with your notebook? Is it being connected powered or unpowered?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have tried other laptops with the same models as well. Yes the Dock is know to be compatible with my laptop. It is connected with power

HP Recommended

What is the brand and model information of the dock?

What specific connection type is made between the dock and the notebook?

The only dock types I  see in the Platform to USB-C dock matrix are  the HP Universal USB-C dock and  the HP USB-C Travel Port replicator. The only specific  compatible dock is the HP Ultraslim Docking Station D9Y32AA

Is that the only USB device that is causing crashes?

Did this begin after a recent Windows 10 update or driver installation/update?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

HP 2013 UltaSlim Docking Station is the model and it is compateble with that brand laptop. because other users have tried it with the SAME dock and with them it works, but with my laptop it doesnt seems to handle well. All the drivers en windows update were up to date and the Windows 10 versions are all the same with the other ones. 

HP Recommended

I suggest testing the ports and running an extensive system test to see if the issue is hardware related.

Which specific version of Windows 10 is installed?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.