Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-f004wm
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've had an HP laptop (a 15-f004wm) for a few years now. I always thought there was some sort of lose connection in it somewhere, because if I tapped the casing (the part below the keyboard, where my wrists would go) too hard, the computer would just instantly shut off. At first, it would be able to turn right back on. Then it needed a few minutes before I was able to turn it on again. If I tried to turn it back on too soon, nothing would happen except that the light on the F12 key for the wifi would come on briefly. Then this started happening if I moved the laptop (i.e. unplugged it and took it somewhere else), and then it started requiring more and more time (up to several hours) before it would successfully boot up again.

The other day, it shut off in the middle of playing a video, when I had not tapped it, unplugged it, or moved it in anyway. I got a blue screen with an error message that said "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (win32k.sys)". After a few seconds in which I managed to take a picture of the screen, it shut down. This was 3 days ago, and my laptop has not come back on since. The F12 key lights up, same as always, and a little light next to where the power cable plugs in comes on when the cable is plugged in, but that's all. No other signs of life. I have tried removing the battery, unplugging it, and holding the power button down for an obscenely long time to see if that helps; it doesn't.

A computer-savvy friend of mine thinks that it's a hardware problem, likely the processor or the motherboard. My question is this: is it worthwhile/cost-effective to try to get it repaired, or should I just pull the hard drive out to preserve my files and get a new laptop? Any advice is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@FickleMuse,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you contact support and they will assist you with the available service option for your computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.