Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop model number 15-da0053wm

My laptop wont run. It turns on and I can enter my pin or password then I get either a black screen with a small box that says "Windows explorer not responding. I've tried to pull up the task manager and it won't even do that.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jason82air,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

This issue can be caused due to any of the following issues:

• You may be using an outdated or corrupted video driver
  • System files on your PC may be corrupt or mismatched with other files
  • You may have a Virus or Malware infection on your PC 
  • Some applications or services running on your PC may be causing Windows Explorer to stop working

Start your PC in Safe Mode to check for startup issues

Start your PC in Safe Mode and see if you can reproduce the error. After starting your PC in Safe Mode, work as you normally do and perform the same actions that you perform when getting the error. If you still receive the error in Safe Mode, go to the next section and follow the steps to do Clean Boot troubleshooting. 

Try performing a clean boot on your PC and check if it helps.

From Start, search for msconfig.
Select System Configuration from the search results.
On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
Close Task Manager.
On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

You may also refer to the steps suggested in this support article - Click here

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1] Restart File Explorer

Select Ctrl + Shift + Esc and then select Task Manager from the menu. Find Windows Explorer and right-click on it, select End task.File Explorer will not open in Windows 10

Right at the top of the Task Manager window, you’ll find the File option. Click on it and select Run new task. You’ll then need to type in explorer.exe in the box. Click Enter.

Does this help?

2] Set File Explorer defaults

windows file explorer not opening

Open File Explorer Options (earlier known as Folder Options) from Start Search and do the following:

1. Under General tab: Clear File Explorer History and press Restore Defaults
  2. Under View tab: Press Reset folders and Restore Defaults button.
  3. Under Search tab: Press Restore Defaults button.

Press Apply, OK, and exit.

Now try to open Explorer and see.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.