cancel
spuppy Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My pc has been charging all day, yet it boots up for less than 2 seconds.

HP Pavillion dv4
Microsoft Windows Vista

I discovered my pc not booting on yesterday morning; therefore, i plugged it in the wall.  Today had been more than 24 hours, and it is not booting.  The system will come on for less than 2 seconds and turn off.  Please help

1 REPLY 1
Dean
Dean
11,616 11,017 575 1,629
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My pc has been charging all day, yet it boots up for less than 2 seconds.

My first guess is that either the power-adapter is not working -- not charging the battery.

[Got a friend with a similar laptop?  Connect your charger to that computer, and check (on-screen) that the battery-status is something like "nn% -- charging". Or, if the friend's computer has the identical battery, try his/her battery in your computer, to see if your computer will start.]

My second guess is that the socket where the power-adapter plugs in to your computer is damaged -- the power is not reaching the motherboard.  [A qualified computer-technician can repair/replace the socket.]

My third guess is that the motherboard itself has failed.  [Very expensive to buy a replacement motherboard!]

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation