Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-da0074tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop is not getting actual speed on nvme m.2 ssd.  I installed a Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

I show pcie 3.0x2 when i laptop is supported 3.0x4. 

Kindly help me.

IMG-20221104-WA0011.jpg

SAVE_20221104_180655.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, that is a known issue in the model series.

NVMe SSD's run at about half of their advertised read/write speeds because the PCIe slot is 3 x 2 and not 3 x 4.

There is nothing you can do to fix the problem.

The good news is the speeds are still around 3x faster than a SATA SSD would be.

HP Recommended

How can i found my pcie 3.0 version is x2 or x4.

Samsung 970 evo plus maximum speed 3500mbps.

So if i buy low variant then my mony was saved.

HP Recommended

If you buy a budget NVMe SSD with slower max read/write speeds, then the read/write speeds will be even slower than you are getting with the Samsung drive.

I wouldn't get anything cheaper than the Western Digital Blue SN570. 

That should cost much less than the 970 and still have about the same read/write speeds.

There may be some free utilities you can use to see if they will report what the specs on the M.2 slot are.

I have zipped up and attached one such utility below.

HP Recommended

I checked here that the maximum link is width x4 But the current link is with x2 does that mean my laptop will support pcie 3.0 x4 but currently it's on 3.0 x2 ? Please tell me any method through which I can convert X2 to X4 ie go into bios if there is a method to do it. Then I will be bound.

SAVE_20221104_221938.jpg

HP Recommended

As I stated in my first reply, it is a known issue with the entire 15-da0xxx model series and there is no fix that I know of for how to get the SSD to use all 4 PCIe lanes.

Hp 15-da0xxx : NVme work in x2 not x4 - HP Support Community - 7925793

HP Recommended

Ok thank you for helping me. 😊

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.