Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
17-by3053cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a HP 17-by3053cl (2020) a few days ago. Today, I have SP PCIe Gen 250GB M.2 2280 SSD installed in the laptop. The problem is the M.2 SSD does not show up on boot. I also disabled Secure Boot settings as per the instruction provided in the following post. Also, there is no advanced boot setting.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/How-to-boot-from-m-2-ssd/td-p/5850846

How do I boot Windows 10 from M.2 SSD? It is showing up in the Windows Explorer, but I can't boot from it.

Please advise.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bijakal Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the NVMe SSD not showing up in BIOS.

If you now have both drives installed and both have Windows installed, remove the older HDD. Having two versions of the OS will cause the bios to not be able to boot either.

See if the SSD will boot without the HDD installed.

Alternatively, you might be able to boot from SSD in bios explorer...

Rapidly tap F9 for Boot Options Menu.

Arrow down to Boot from EFI File.

Select the long line of text that starts with No Volume Label, etc etc.

Choose <EFI>

Arrow down to <Boot>

Arrow down to bootx64.efi

It should boot one time into the SSD. If it does, you can wipe the HDD from there and use it for storage only.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Bijakal Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the NVMe SSD not showing up in BIOS.

If you now have both drives installed and both have Windows installed, remove the older HDD. Having two versions of the OS will cause the bios to not be able to boot either.

See if the SSD will boot without the HDD installed.

Alternatively, you might be able to boot from SSD in bios explorer...

Rapidly tap F9 for Boot Options Menu.

Arrow down to Boot from EFI File.

Select the long line of text that starts with No Volume Label, etc etc.

Choose <EFI>

Arrow down to <Boot>

Arrow down to bootx64.efi

It should boot one time into the SSD. If it does, you can wipe the HDD from there and use it for storage only.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I followed instructions provided by Praveen (HP Support) and it all worked perfectly as expected.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Bijakal

Thank you for the update.

We are happy to hear that the provided solutions worked for you.

In the future, if you have any other concerns. Please get back to us. we will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Can you tell me if the PCIe / NVMe connector was pre-existing on the board or if you had to purchase a bracket and cable to install the M.2 2280 SSD in your laptop? I have same model and want to know if i need to purchase additional parts or not.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.