Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Folio 9470m

I need help please.  I received a notebook and do not have the original BIOS password.  I need to reset the BIOS password but the HP Support Chat is not helping.  See below...  Do I have any other way of doing this without having to replace the system board?  That seems like overkill.

3:52 PM   SHAINITHA: 

• HP is committed to the security and privacy of its customers. HP has changed the policy regarding the BIOS Password Reset Service and will no longer provide this option to our customers. This change allows HP to protect customer’s data, BIOS configuration, and device settings, ensuring best in class security for HP products. Allowing access into the BIOS provides the potential opportunity for a rogue user to remove current security settings and change other device settings that could make the PC’s data vulnerable. For this reason, we are no longer able to reset the BIOS password for any reason.
• The BIOS password feature on the HP PC was created for the users to provide an option to secure their PC at a hardware level, and it is the responsibility of the user to manage their password. If the BIOS password is forgotten, HP no longer provides a service to reset or remove the BIOS password.
• If a unit has a BIOS password and is being sent in for repair, customer should remove the BIOS admin password and Power on password before the service is initiated.
• If the unit has the password and the customer is unwilling/unable to provide the password, HP may not be able to complete the repair work. Then the option is that customer can replace the board at his/her own cost as this is not covered under warranty.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.