Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Mini 210-2007sl
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My HP Mini netbook doesn't boot.

The error on the screen is:

"SMART Hard Disk Error

The SMART hard disk check has an imminent failure. To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test In System Diagnostics.

Hard Disk 1 <301>"

If I run start-up and run-in tests, they fail after the test run. Instead, the hard disk test doesn't even start.

So I'd like to know:

1) if there's a way to fix this problem (if I press F9, F10 or F11 on the start, the netbook always shows the same output error)

2) if I can install my Windows copy on another hard disk using in some way the same key product

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@yuki33 Welcome to HP Community!

The error message you've mentioned represents a hard drive malfunction, the same could usually be confirmed via a hardware test, however, in worse case scenarios where the hard drive is no longer detected or is corrupt, the test may not run, that said, I suggest you remove and reconnect the hard drive before you attempt the steps in this article to perform the test again: click here

Although, if you aren't comfortable, removing and reconnecting the hard drive, I suggest you perform a hard reset using the steps in this link: click here

The above should answer question #1, as for question #2 - if you have a recovery media created from the device while it had been working or if you've ordered one from HP, you could use the same media to reinstall the OEM (uses the same product key encrypted on your BIOS), if you don't have the media, you may order one using this link: click here for details.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.