Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab153-nr N5R26UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HDD failure. Went to reinstall OS and need to upgrade bios.  Using HP Diagnostics as System will not allow OS installation.  Bios utility sp97106.exe doesn't complete as to putting on USB drive. Just unpacks 80AEF54.exe.  Opening it does absolutely nothing.  Anyone know how to get the correct *.bin and *.sig files?

Sys:   80AF

Bios:  f.17 03/09/2016

Product:  N5R26UA###

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Raptor227

Welcome to the HP support community.

Perform a BIOS recovery:

Here are the steps:- Click here

If that does not work, install OS using recovery media:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is no operating system as a catastrophic hdd failure.  Also why there is no recovery possible as recovery was on original drive.

HP Recommended

@Raptor227

I suggest you contact HP Support and order the Recovery Media

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I order this and what it returns it to the day I bought it?  Why would HP think I want to reinstall a 4+ year old operating system?  I should be able to put only what I want, on my property.

HP Recommended

@Raptor227

May I know how are you installing the Windows OS on the new Hard drive?

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have every option available.  I'm a Window's Insider, very tech savvy, and currently maintain about 23 different HP products.

I have made DVD installation using Media Creation Tools using only the latest open market versions of Windows10 as well as the currently available insiders versions.  ISO"s of these images were loaded to both 16 GB USB (2),  The USB were compiled using media creation tools and Rufus tools neither to avail.  As soon the the installation of Windows hits it first "write" command the entire laptop restarts.  There is no recovery disk set as the recovery section was on the HDD. In another post, probably cross posted I described how the only thing that looked out of place was the ribbon cable from the sata3 drive to the motherboard.  It was not in straight and it was barely locked (some pressure) as the pull was not fully down.  Anyhow it appeared as though the SATA ribbon strip had crossed into Device power power strip (or vice versa).  I replaced the HDD with like kind.  (SATA3 footprint)

This is on HP Pavilion 15-153nr Serial Number 5CD61331ZC.  Yes it is not under warranty.   This system apparantley started having problem soon after I set it up because it would have logged into our server.  She didn't want me to think she did something to it. Its a sweet system even by todays standard.  I have downloaded every bios upgrade and after multiple tries still don't have the latest (that alone could be the problem)  Everything is UEFI.  I updated all my diagnostic apps for HP onto new USBs.  Only the 4-1 fully installed after the 4th attempt.  I also looked into recovery disk? software for this model and as soon as I wanted to see information it wanted my CC number.

HP Recommended

@Raptor227

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My warranty is expired so it just directs me back to community.  Another support person told me to just get the app for cloud recovery.  As soon as I manually put in the product number it claims it is invalid.  Product #  N5R26UA#ABA.  I know its valid I'm reading and entering it off the screen for F1.  And no it will not accept it without the #ABA either.

HP Recommended

@Raptor227

You might have to take this computer to the local store, so that they can help you in installing OS on the new HDD.

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.