Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New laptop restarting without notice or apparent reason

HP Notebook 15-BA079DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few weeks ago, my laptop began randomly shutting off while I have been in the middle of using it.  It never sends an error code or gives any warning.  It just goes completely black and then after a few seconds begins to reboot.  When it is on again, it gives no indication or error report that it had encountered any problems that caused a reboot.  I have no idea what may have caused it.  Sometimes it is while I am actively typing, other times while I am reading things on the internet but not touching the computer at all, other times when it is just sitting in front of me and I am not doing anything with it.  I was worried it might be an overheating issue so I have kept it under a fan most of the time and raised it half up so it had ample airflow.  That being said, it rarely gets warm to the touch anyways.  None of these attempts have affected the frequency of restarting occurance.  In fact, I believe it is getting more frequent as time goes on.

I have had my computer for just a month and a half.  I have only used it for very basic Word, Excel, Powerpoint and internet usage.  I have downloaded or installed very little.  There was a large windows 10 update not too long ago.  I don't think the problem started until after the update. The entire time my computer has been covered by McAfee antivirus.

1 REPLY
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
27 1 2
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New laptop restarting without notice or apparent reason

Hi @NeedingHelp2

I understand that the computer shuts down randomly when you working on the same. Not to worry, I would love to help you. :) 

Lets us diagnose and find out if the PC has a hardware /  software problem. We would perform a hardware diagnostic test. Follow the steps mentioned below to do the diagnosis. 

Use the following steps to open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) to the main menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

3. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

4. In the main menu, click to select an option. (Hard Drive)

Use the following steps to run the Extensive Test.

1. From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Extensive Test.

Figure : System Extensive Test

System Extensive Test
  2. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

Figure : Running the Extensive Test

Running the Extensive Test
  3. While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 2 or more hours to complete.

4. If a component fails a test, write down the information so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support.

If the hard drive test fails on the computer, this indicates a faulty hardware on the computer. Please contact the phone support team for possible service options. 

HP Contact :  http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/

Let me know if you require any assistance further. :)

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards

EMATTY
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation