Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nutmeg82
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New laptop wont shut down or restart - HP Envy x360 w/AMD graphics and processor

HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I have a brand new laptop (HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15) less than 2 weeks old. All drivers and BIOS are up to date courtesy of the HP Support Assistant tool, as are all Windows Updates and OS build number (1909).

Basically my laptop does not shut down or restart, which I have a feeling may be due to when the HP Support Assistant tool updating the BIOS for my laptop recently to the Nov-19 version. Basically, when I choose 'Shut down' from the Windows Start Menu, it either

1) screen goes black, but led on the power switch remains lit or

2) screens goes black, led goes out, but fan keeps running until Iclose the lid

I have to hold down the power button for 3-5 seconds to force the laptop to properly shut down. It also means I cannot restart, and have to shutdown by the method above.

As mentioned, this is a brand new laptop. I've seen numerous things on the HP comminity forum and via other forums online such as disabling fast boot (tried - still same issue), updating all drivers (done), updating BIOS (done), making sure windows updates is up to date (done). But I still have same issue. There seems to be a fix relating Intel Management Engine, however, I have an AMD Radeon graphics card and processor, so unfortunately this fix isn't relevant for me.

Any help or guidance would be massively appreciated. I just downloaded the Sep version of the BIOS from the drivers page, thinking if I pull the BIOS back to the older version it may help. But is difficult for me to install if my laptop won't restart to implement it!

I'm tempted to do a clean install/factory reset, but it seems a bit extreme as and it's less than 2 weeks.

Many thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Level 15
Level 15
18,842 18,784 1,756 4,153
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New laptop wont shut down or restart - HP Envy x360 w/AMD graphics and processor

@nutmeg82 

You're smart to avoid a factory reset -- as that would likely make things worse, not better.

You should not be having problems like this with a new PC!

You paid for free HP Tech Support as part of the warranty coverage, so you might as well make use of it.

While this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about troubleshooting and repairing your machine remotely.

I did this recently and the HP Tech was able to remotely access my PC from the Internet to check out the problems.

If they are unable to fix your PC, then you need to explore what options you have to get it replaced under the warranty.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
nutmeg82
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the process of sending the laptop back to the supplier - I spoke with their tech support team recently and hopefully I'll either get the laptop fixed or a new replacement.

Is there known compatibility issues with the latest BIOS from Nov-19? I understand that despite the older BIOS versions being available to download, you cannot 'downgrade' the BIOS because HP locks it once the latest has been updated? I tried, but was unable to do so and said HP unable to change due to newer version installed, even via a USB option (holding windows and B on startup etc.)

I've seen a few threads of late of issues once upgrading BIOS but there doesn't appear to be any fix from HP. They advise restting windows and all of the standard things, but nothing that actually works. As you said, I shouldn't have to reset a brand new laptop less than a few weeks old.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation