Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 7 (385 Views)

No Bios access after w10 and bios upgrades

Product Name: pavilion dv5-1058eo
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

After upgrading to W10 I also uppgraded the bios.  Booting is successfull but the "ESC"-option to enter Bios does not appear.  Tapping ESC or F10 has no effect. The booting proceeds and W starts. If however I press either one of them continously after power on the unit starts beeping and has to be shut off. I have emptied the CMOS by removing the RTC battery and pressing the power button for 30 secs.  With and without the main battery inserted. No change.

Any suggestions anyone?

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 7 (338 Views)

Re: No Bios access after w10 and bios upgrades

Hey @ossian, 

I would like to welcome you to the HP Support Community. If my reply resolves your issue or answer your question(s),  please let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

I understand that you did a BIOS upgrade after the Windows 10 upgrade but it did not take well to your HP Pavilion dv5-1058eo Entertainment Notebook PC.

Many HP Notebooks have an HP BIOS Restore tool that may recover the BIOS from an earlier version and restore basic functionality. Please follow the documentation to do a BIOS reset

Have you tried to perform a hard reset?

Which BIOS version did  you upgrade to?

Have you tried to disable fast startup? Although this site is not affiliated with HP, it has some great step by step instructions on disabling fast startup. The topic is called Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

You can try following the below steps to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup Settings:

1. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.

2. Select Load Setup Defaults.

3. Select Save Changes and Exit (pressing F5 and the Enter key will also load the Setup Defaults).

4. Press Esc and then Enter to exit Setup.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with any information you think may help me find a resolution for you. Please also let me know if the BIOS reset works. If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

I am glad that you joined in! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Message 3 of 7 (276 Views)

Sorry for the delayed comment...

From your reply I understand that I need to give you the full background. A heating problem destroyed the mother board and I had to change it for a refurbished one. I also installed a fresh processor (identical).  I had expected to have to make a clean installation of W7 and upgrade to W10 but much to my suprprise the old W10 installation started and works without problems (apart from the unability to access BIOS). Before installing the hard disk with W10 I started up to test the Bios and noticed that the refurbished mother board had been used wih a Vista system.   After installing the hard disk (with W10) and being unable to access Bios I removed the 3V battery and pressed the power button for a long time to empty the Cmos memory. No effect.

The Bios upgrade (F.38 Rev.) installed without problems and I have emptied the Cmos memory once more.  A reset is of no value as the problem existed earlier as well.

As my first post shows the Bios cannot be accessed the normal way.  The beeping probably indicates an error situation.  Although I wish to be able to do a normal Bios Setup it would be useful to read the info stored by the Bios. Is there a program or process to do this?  

Can the problem relate to the fact that the motherboard originates from a Vista system (although everything else works)? If this is the case I suspect that although I probably can make a clean W7-installation from an available license a subsequent upgrade to W10 will not be free of charge any more.

Grateful for any comments/Torsten

Retired
Message 4 of 7 (271 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey! 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Ah, that does make sense now. Thank you for providing me with the details in your last post. 

BIOS Updates are typically run from the OS. A Vista update may not run on Windows 10 (as you stated you upgraded the BIOS in your initial post). The version F.38 Rev is listed to be for Windows 7. 

I had provided you with the BIOS reset instructions in my first reply because I looked at the HP Pavilion dv5-1058eo Entertainment Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads page and did not see Windows 10 drivers available. So I thought if maybe you did the reset it may have brought back the menu for you from previous "memory". 

Here is the Updating the BIOS documentation for you to take a look at. You can see if there is anything in it to help resolve the issue for you. 

I hope that this helps!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Tutor
Message 5 of 7 (194 Views)

My problem is simple (the solution may not be). I can't access the Bios. EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS IN W10 (although very slow). And the suggested readings do not help. 

Do you think that I should return to W7 (to solve the Bios issue AND hopefully improve performance)?

Retired
Message 6 of 7 (192 Views)

Quote: Do you think that I should return to W7 (to solve the Bios issue AND hopefully improve performance)?

Hey, 

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, for troubleshooting purposes, it may be a good idea to go back to Windows 7, see if the BIOS menu is available, do ALL of the updates and then you can decide for yourself if you want to upgrade again to Windows 10, or stay with Windows 7. 

Let me know how it goes :) 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Tutor
Message 7 of 7 (172 Views)

Dear Emerald

Just to close the issue and to reflect upon. When I started the laptop with a W7 reinstallation disc the option to access the bios (ESC key) appeared. Without the DVD it does not!!! Thanks for you interest in the matter. I will stay on W7 with this unit. Bios access is working. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation