Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Haileem19 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not able to boot - locked Windows drive can't refresh or restart

Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have an hp pavilion model # 14-b109wm serial - [Personal Information Removed] product - e0x7oua#aba 

for the past 2 years since I've had it there has been nothing but continuous issues starting with when I updated it for the first time, repair getting stuck in a continuous loop, crashes, not starting up. Etc. I decided to purchase a 32gb usb which would be the recovery usb  I would use to reset my laptop to factory settings, it worked and I decided to turn off automatic updates so that my windows would not update and mess my computer up again. It worked for the first few months without a hitch, suddenly my laptop would crash randomly and not load up anything. My laptop was in a useless state, I had configured it to be the reason of my disk usage being at 100% . I've read severel forums on how to prevent 100% disk usage but nothing helped me I tried disabling super fetch, Windows search. I've tried resetting my laptop to factory setting again. Still sadly facing this inconclusive issue. As I was trying to fix this 100% disk usage issue which included me to turn off my laptop and turn it back on I was faced with the message - not able to boot, insert boot disk and press any key. Something like that, so I inserted my recovery usb to maybe refresh or restore my laptop it would inform me that the Windows drive was locked. I'm at a loss honestly, I have no idea what's caused this or why even my recovery usb won't fix this. But I am not able to reach to hp chat support ( frustrating ) since my warranty is out, and if you call for help no one can help me I've called 3 different ( clueless ) hp support representatives and am not sure how this issue can be fixed. 

2 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1898
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Haileem19,

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips. For you to have a rewarding experience, I would like to include the following link for your perusal and reference. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you drive was at 100% capacity. You tried to disable SuperFectch but there was no change. You decided to do a recovery from the USB key. When you attempted to do the recovery, you got the message the drive is locked, Please review this reply I sent to someone else.  Can't refresh or reset windows 8.1 because drive is locked Please let me know the outcome.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution" To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs Up” below!  :)  If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Haileem19 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

unnamed.jpg

i actually stopped having the hard drive locked issue, and went ahead and tried the repair usb again. i was able to start the repair, after it was done i got a "Error code:  The Boot Configuration Data For Your PC Is Missing or Contains Error . " then prompts me with uefi firmware settings.  so repair will not work, it just puts me in this loop i've tried over 5 times.

i also tried a factory reset ( my 4th time trying to do this. ) which took 5 days long. the only thing to come up was a black screen and a cursor. wouldn't move for 2 more days. i eventually turned it off, and got this message. it says no operating system is on my hard disk. my laptop came with pre-installed windows 8 by the way so i'm not sure how i'm getting this message and why my laptop wont work. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation