Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion notebook 15-ab221no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook goes into (i think) Hibernation at random times. No loss of data, just annoying in the middle of a movie or something. 

I have checked powersettings more than 10x times. 

I have done a System Diagnostics -> Quick Check via BIOS 2x times - PASSED both times.

I have bought a new battery.

When the computer goes into sleep/hibernation, i see a blue screen with the text "Locking...." for like 0,1 seconds before computer goes into sleep/hibernation. Then i have to press power button to get it to start again.

I have timed the issues:

41 mins after starting a stream/movie in Chrome.

25 mins after starting a movie from local file in VLC.

So the timing is odd.... It doesnt follow a pattern that i can find.

Power settings:

SLEEP - battery/plugged in - NEVER.

Advanced Options:

Sleep After On Battery: NEVER

Sleep After Plugged In: NEVER

Allow Hybrid Sleep On Battery: OFF

Allow Hybrid Sleep Plugged In: OFF

Hibernate after On Battery: NEVER

Hibernate after Plugged In: NEVER

Turn Off hard disk after On Battery: 3mins

Turn Off hard disk after Plugged In: 15mins.

Computer is Up to date. Checked today 2019-12-06.

The issue has been here for about 6months+

Help please, thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jumken

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

If its going into sleep while the device is in use, and sleep has been turned off, this isn't a sleep issue.

Here's what you need to do, to identify the issue and resolve it accordingly:

Check with an alternate monitor if you don't have one, check if it works in BIOS.

• If not done already, check if it works fine on the BIOS screen to identify if it's either a hardware or a software issue:
    • If it works fine on the BIOS (Accessed while tapping F10 during a restart) it's a software issue & I suggest creating a new user account to check if that works better, for starters)
    • However, if it doesn't work within the BIOS either, I'm afraid it's a hardware malfunction.

While you respond to that, I have a few more steps that should help: 

Perform a power reset (no data loss) using these steps: Click here, proceed to next step if this works

Attempt to run a test from the HP hardware diagnostic tool, using this link: Click here for details.

If the issue appears on the diagnostics, it could again, determine a hardware failure,

If they don't appear on bios & the hardware tests passed: please update the BIOS & Chip-set drivers from the HP website using this link: Click here

if the issue persists, reinstall windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue,
use this link for details on performing the recovery: Click here

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi betty, thx for helping, sorry for late reply. 

Check with an alternate monitor if you don't have one, check if it works in BIOS.

• If not done already, check if it works fine on the BIOS screen to identify if it's either a hardware or a software issue:
    • If it works fine on the BIOS (Accessed while tapping F10 during a restart) it's a software issue & I suggest creating a new user account to check if that works better, for starters)
    • However, if it doesn't work within the BIOS either, I'm afraid it's a hardware malfunction

I dont really understand what you mean by this. Do you mean plug-in an external monitor? via HDMI then, since i lack VGA-output. Open BIOS. Does BIOS show on external monitor?

Yes = Software issue?

No=Hardware issue?

I plugged in a monitor, HDMI, restarted computer and entered UEFI. UEFI didnt show on external monitor.

UEFI=BIOS right?

Power reset, Check! No Improvement

HP Hardware diag. tool, Check! No improvement

Systemcheck via UEFI, Check!  No improvement

Updated BIOS, Check! No improvement

Updated Chipset, Check! No improvement

Updated Intel Management Engine Components, Check! No improvement

Again, can you explain the first thing again and i can try that one more time. 

I doubt reinstalling windows will help so i wanna try that first thing first.

HP Recommended

Welcome back 🙂

The steps to check BIOS is only in case the device isn't booting into windows, considering that's not the issue, we don't have to dwell into that, that said, considering the fact that you've already updated the BIOS among other driver and yet the issue persists, I suggest you create a new user account and check if that works.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.