Top Student
5 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook Shuts Down ('Dies') After Resuming from Sleep

ProBook 4530s
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello there... I own a great HP 4530s with a 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro installed and today, this morning, after I pressed the power button to resume my session from sleep, the hard drive started spinning, the screen came on with the Windows' lock screen (everything normal) and after about three seconds it 'died'... it just shut down in an unclean way, as if I removed the battery... sudden power off (and it's also plugged in, so power fueling is constant). I turn it on again and it works as usual... just that I lost my seesion and all the programs that were opened are closed now - a new session from a fresh start.

I use this computer every day and this happened several times before (about four times)... it's not an often occurence but still... raises concerns and question marks as to whether my laptop is healthy or it's kinda losing its health.

Here's the Windows' event account for it:

Event-41, Kernel Power

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

And there's also an event that states this: 'The previous system shutdown at 03:29:42 on ‎21/‎02/‎2017 was unexpected.'... which is weird, because that is the time when I put it to sleep (3:29)... and this event is logged at 9:03. I turned it on at 9:03 and that's what happened.

So my question is... is it something to be concerned about or it's just that the power supply kinda degrades in time and it loses its hardware accuracy or power from time to time? It's a 5-year-old computer - I have it from 2012... February, and use it every day - so there must be some loss of performance over time. But this issue might be software-related and not hardware-related... I don't know, that's why I'm asking you. I can post the other event logs that revolve around that one... maybe it's of use.

Many thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
12981 1689 4353
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please do extensive system testing including hard drive, memory, processor testing from BIOS/UEFI, by tapping F2 key as you power on laptop. Let it finish.

Regards

Visruth
I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for HP

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
Zaid_Is_Here Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did all the tests from HP's hardware diagnostic utility and all were passed... no problems found.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12981 1689 4353
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

That's good to hear.

So it is driver or software related.

Could you go to Device Manager and see what all drivers are installed under Display Adapter?

IF IT IS Intel,
Kindly uninstall the that one and reinstall this:
http://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-probook-4530s-notebook-pc/5060880/swIte...

Or

IF IT IS AMD that is listed there,
Do the same for this one, latest one here:
http://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-probook-4530s-notebook-pc/5060880/swIte...

Restart after installation.

Then install this latest IRST driver:

Restart System.

Now restore power settings to default: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/950-power-plan-restore-default-settings.html

Check if issue is persisting.

Regards

Visruth

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
Zaid_Is_Here Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you a lot!

I don't even know what graphics card I have. I looked up on HP's PartSurfer and found nothing... all the components are listed for my product number except the video board, haha...

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12981 1689 4353
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can see that in device manager.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-device-manager-2626075

What is your product number?
support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00033108

0 Kudos
Zaid_Is_Here Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is my product number: LW841EA#ABB

In 'Device Manager' I have two drivers installed, haha... an AMD and an Intel driver as display adapters. I installed both of them because I didn't know which one it is back then either. That's what may be causing the issue... conflicting video drivers.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12981 1689 4353
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your laptop has Intel processor and Intel/AMD switchable graphics.

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/default.aspx?cc=emea_africa&lc=en&oid=5166776

So you've to install Intel graphics first, then AMD driver.

Restart system.

Then you could continue with the rest of the steps I suggested.

Regards

Visruth

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation