Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Well I have a pavilion 15 au191sa notebook for awhile, and it started to get slower in the past few months then eventually today as I was updating the windows with the latest updates it froze. And I tried to force shut down and got it back up and then after a few minutes it froze again. And it happened a few times until I gave up. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

In that case, you may be best reinstalling the operating system and see if this restores the original performance.  There are two main options for this.

1.  You could try to reset the notebook to its 'Factory Condition' – if you don’t have your Recovery Media, the notebook will have shipped with a Recovery Partition which can be accessed at boot - ie shutdown the notebook, then start tapping away at f11 as soon as you power on.

A full guide on this can be found on the following link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110#!&AbT1%3Fjumpid=hpr_r1002_usen_link1

2.  You can just perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive.

Post back with the results, including any failure codes that may be generated.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Well I did run the tests on the hard drive and it passed them all.
HP Recommended

Hi,

In that case, you may be best reinstalling the operating system and see if this restores the original performance.  There are two main options for this.

1.  You could try to reset the notebook to its 'Factory Condition' – if you don’t have your Recovery Media, the notebook will have shipped with a Recovery Partition which can be accessed at boot - ie shutdown the notebook, then start tapping away at f11 as soon as you power on.

A full guide on this can be found on the following link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110#!&AbT1%3Fjumpid=hpr_r1002_usen_link1

2.  You can just perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Well thank you David. I restored my device and it's working now. The only problem is that I got a mysterious partition named local disk Z now which is 190 MB free of 256 MB. It won't let me open it saying that I don't have the permission to access it and when I hit continue, it said that I have been denied permission to access the drive folder.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

Regarding the Z drive, it will be a partition created and used by Windows 10 during the reinstallation process and will normally disappear within a week.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Well thank you so much mate. You made it all easy.
HP Recommended

You're more than welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Well...
It fixed it for a day and now it's back to the ground zero.
Hanging all again and right after the boot although the laptop is much slower this time.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.