Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook is freezing a few minutes after startup

G7-2273ca, C5E44UA
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
My computer has been running a little slow for a while now, I tried running a virus scan and that didn't help so Ive been restarting my computer every couple days to fix it for a bit. This time when I restarted it, it booted up fine, let me log into my account and opened to the desktop screen. However after a few minutes my computer would completely freeze and wouldn't let me move the cursor or click anything, I tried restarting it again with the same problem occurring around the same time after startup. I removed all the important things from my computer for fear of losing them and tried to use the recovery function only to be told that it couldn't recover due to the location of my windows being locked or something and my computer couldn't be recovered, I got the same message when I tried a complete reset of my computer. If you have any idea what's wrong please help
3 REPLIES 3
Free86man Tutor
Tutor
8 7 1 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I had similar problem with older PC. Problem is probably with your CPU or Graphic card. It's not nececary mean that it's dying. It could be just overheating which sometimes happens if the PC is older.

You can install some programs like http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ or similar, and check your temperature. Usualy CPU is problem. So start with it. If you see that temperature is rising than you found a problem. In that case you need to open your PC and replace thermal paste on your CPU. If you don't know how to do that and if your PC is under waranty go to service.

Same thing for GPU (graphic processing unit)

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Ezekra Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright I'll give that a try but I'll have to do it myself as my warranty has expired already
0 Kudos
Ezekra Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I managed to get the download the program and try it before my computer shut down and i watched it for a while before my computer froze but weirdly my computer didnt freeze this time. Its been open and turned on for about 20 mins now and hasnt frozen up until now. I dont want to just leave it alone and hope it doesnt happen again so I'm wondering what else it could be? I'm no technician but all the numbers for the temperatures and stuff looked fine to me, none were too far over what it said the max limit is supposed to be. If you need I can attach a picture of the readings it's been giving me in case I missed something. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation