01-09-2017 01:01 PM
When I walk away from my computer, after a while the screen goes black like it does when it goes to sleep. Sometimes it does actually go to sleep and the power button blinks, then I just press it to wake it up. However the majority of the time the screen goes black but the power button stays lit up. When this happens, pushing the power button or any key will not wake it up. I have to push and hold the power button to shut it down then turn it back on. This happens multiple times a day sometimes and can get very irritating. I do not get any error messages or anything. The only recent thing is the update to windows 10 and my internet connection is through a mobile hotspot on my cell.
Any help would be very much appreciated!
01-10-2017 01:40 PM
Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.
As I understand the computer isn't waking up from sleep mode, Don't worry, though, as i have a few steps that should help resolve the issue,
Please follow the below steps:
Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows
Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly.
Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode:
1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.
2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard.
3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step.
If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available.
If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked.
2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps.
3. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks)
For more steps, please click here
Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you.
If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.
I am an HP Employee