Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
2000-2b19WM
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have a HP 2000-2b19WM that's giving a beep code os 3 long followed by 2 short beeps. The Caps Lock key will blink twice over and over with a pause seperating them. I've looked at the generic HP Beep Codes and they just don't fit. I read in the HP troubleshooting guide and it says to look up the codes specific for my motherboard, but I can't find them. The motherboard in my system is HP Part Number 657324-001.

I've already used another know good keyboard and memory. I've also reset the BIOS by removing the battery and tried the Remove Power-Press the Power Button for 20 Seconds-Power Up just for grins and giggles. The system still gives me the same error condition. Where can I find the appropriate code list to find the troublesome hardware issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Prego.

Sorta Sorted then?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi

Does this match?

You get a LONG (MAJOR) signal category, RED LED &

then a SHORT (MINOR) signal category, WHITE LED.

Major – the category of the error; Minor – specific error in that category.

The AUDIBLE repeats 5 times, and the VISUAL until power is removed.

Hardware

The embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization.

Indicates potential memory failure.

1 Reseat memory.

2 Correct memory configuration.

3 Test with known good memory.

4 Replace affected component.

HP Recommended

Well, maybe it does. The audible alert IS 3 long and 2 short which repeats 5 times. The visual is white only, for the 2 flashes, and continues until power is removed. I've replaced the memory, which is the same as the origina,l and tried it in the other socket. I also removed the battery to reset the BIOS. Where did you find the answer for the audible tones? My gut is telling me the main board is bad.

HP Recommended

Hi

That answer is my version of the convoluted corporate crud that HP issue, I hoped to make it more understandable and acceptable.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

Perhaps research and try the BIOS repair option also

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

HP Recommended

Thank you for that info. They do make it tricky to find information. I don't do this kind of work everyday and was not aware that you could recover the bios in that fashion. Then again, I usually forget things by the next day anyhow. I update after I try those procedures.

HP Recommended

I just couldn't resist complicating things. I didn't start those procedures yet, but the PC stopped beeping. The CAPS Lock still blinks. Now for the brain-fart question....Does the System Board have a piezo or does it use the speakers? I ask because I can't find anything resembling a piezo.

HP Recommended

Thank you for that addition info. Unfortunately, the System Board (Motherboard) appears to be NFG. I looked at it, with fresh eyes, this morning and the bootup is not the only problem. The processor get blistering hot after only 1 minute or so. I will archive the information you provided links for in case there needed on another notebook repair.

HP Recommended

Prego.

Sorta Sorted then?

HP Recommended

I marked it as accepted because your help would've worked just fine if the MB wasn't slowly failing. Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.