Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
omen 15 5250nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody,

I have an old HP Omen 15 - 5250nl with the original ssd drive Sandisk SD6PP4M 256gb.

I bought a new ssd from crucial the CT500P188D8 that is 500gb.

Cloned the old one on the new one using a USB support using EaseUS and then opened my laptop and switched those drivers.

Well at this point the bios (updated to the last version F.77) can't find the new ssd and don't boot. 

I tried a lot different things: Used different cloning software, set legacy support and disabled secure boot, tried with no data inside and reinstalling windows from USB, asked to crucial support (they send me to the HP support and confirm 100% compatibility).

So i'm here asking what can i do? It's my chipset (HM87) "limited" for my original ssd only? There is any way to install a new bigger ssd (not necessary faster then the original)? Thanks for the help!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Luk1n0,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand the new SSD is not getting detected on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

If you install the factory shipped SSD, is the computer booting?

Is the new SSD (500GB) detected in BIOS?

Meanwhile, I checked the specifications of your computer and see that a 500GB SSD is compatible on your computer and should work.

I recommend you restore the BIOS defaults and then try booting from the new SSD.

Here is how it is done.

1. Backup and save important information on your computer, and then turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer, and then click F10, until the BIOS opens.

3. Under the Main tab, use the up and down arrow keys to select Restore Defaults.

Figure : Restore Defaults

Image: Restore Defaults
  4. Select Yes.

Figure : Load Defaults

Image: Load Defaults
  5. Under the Main tab, use the up and down arrow keys to select Save Changes and Exit.

Figure : Save Changes and Exit

Image: Save Changes and Exit
  6. When prompted, click Yes to save changes and exit.

Figure : Click Yes

Image: Click Yes

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi The_Fossette, thanks for the help. The new ssd was inserted replacing the previous one. The computer starts up but shows the error screen with the code 3f0. Entering the bios and going to the boot menu it is not possible to select the new ssd but the old one is still displayed even if it is not entered. I tried to enable legacy and remove the secure boot but it just isn't recognized. I also tried to do what you suggested but it was not successful, I don't think it's a bios problem but it's as if the motherboard was only forced to recognize an ssd only.
HP Recommended

@Luk1n0 If the error 3f0 is appearing, that means this is a hardware malfunction within the drive, I suggest you check with an alternate drive or follow the steps mentioned here for further assistance.

Keep us posted with the results.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The drive works correctly, old ssd run, boot and everything is ok, new ssd can be read by windows, macbook and is writable and readable. Just it's not see by my bios. 

HP Recommended

@Luk1n0,

If the SSD is getting detected in the operating system then it is recognized in BIOS, however, as you have mentioned that it is not showing in the BIOS.

I recommend you try the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the BIOS by restarting the computer and repeatedly pressing F10 to enter Setup.
  2. Select Advanced, select System Options, and then select Configure Storage Controller for Intel Optane.
  3. Restart the computer.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I can't do that @The_Fossette, becouse my bios menu is very poor of options, i will show some screenshot. I don't how to do what you suggest.

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-11 at 22.49.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-11 at 22.49.33(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-11 at 22.49.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-11 at 22.49.32(1).jpeg

HP Recommended

@Luk1n0,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.