Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 15-au150sa 15.6 7th gen i5 8GB RAM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi, I have been experiencing a recurring power issue for a few months now that I am getting very frustrated at. Summary: - The Lab top only works intermittently. By this I mean it does not turn on (no power - led not on when charger plugged in). Hard reset does not work. - It will occasionally work and when it does there are no errors or obvious issues. When I shut it down it will then not turn back on again for a period of days. - From my own experimental troubleshooting I seem to have discovered that it works when I leave it in my car overnight , so its almost as if the colder temperatures (circa 5-10 degrees - I live in UK) reset it. Following this discovery I have monitored for signs of overheating but aside from a little heat on the AC (normal when plugged in) the lab top feels normal when in use, the fans sound like they are working etc. -If I left it in my flat it would take 5/6 days between use , so even it was standard overheating it seems to take a long time to cool down (assuming it is temp related) - Other areas/troubleshooting I have explored include: battery/ac plug - problem persists on either so ruled out issue with both windows 10 upgrade related issue - I have reinstalled windows and ensured I have the latest Extent of use - it work on four consecutive days last week , but this was me simply turning on to check if it worked then logging off - which feeds into the temperature theory , so its only after heavier cpu use (like downloading to flashdrive/installing windows or using dj software) that it then doesn't work for days I have ran the troubleshooter for all areas and there are no pieces of hardware etc than require attention so no faults. There are also no security threats (tho I am using only the windows protector having not renewed mcafee a few months back) I have ruled out a hardware issue in terms of the power button/power board itself due to the consecutive days the button was working fine without heavy use. Are there any reported issues similar to this ? , does it seem like I am barking up the wrong tree with the temp ? . I cant think of anything else that would stop it turning on for periods at a time. I know there is such a thing as thermal lockdown, but I have never seen an error message and it has never turned off mid use, it always works flawlessly when in use, it just wont turn back on again following this! Any ideas? any help would be appreciated ? . ps the lab top is out of warranty - hence the attempt at self diagnosis!
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ANTO1979

Since you have reinstall the Windows, we can rule out OS problems

I suggest you update the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers and keep me posted if the issue persists

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Krazy Toad - thanks for responding. 

I have downloaded the HP  support app and updated everything I need to, both in this and more generally with windows. 

Issue still persists  - it definitely seems to be temp/use related, again this week the only way I can get any power is to leave overnight in the my car and next morning it works fine, then use for period then next time I press power button there is nothing(until I leave in car again). 

To reiterate, when it works it works fine and with no signs of any issues/error messages. I completed the full system health checks on the HP support app with no issues identified. I noticed from doing the updates that all restarts work okay too. 

Could a temp sensor be giving false readings and telling it to shut off ?, is there a way I can check this ? would you recommend a temp app download to monitor the internal temps ? 

Regards,

Antony 

HP Recommended

@ANTO1979

I am the @Echo_Lake  looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. This looks like its a software issue with the computer by performing regular updates this can be taken care. 

HP does not recommend to use Third-party measuring apps as they are not tested by HP and may not be accurate. 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.