Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv5
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have an older laptop that was slow but working fine. One day out of the blue it stopped booting up. It will make a clicking sound from the cd drive and then the caps lock light starts blinking. I've tried doing the hit esc button but nothing. I'm not sure what to do now.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@BubsMama 

If there is no CD in the drive, then the "clicking" sound you hear is almost certainly the sound of a failing hard drive.

To check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

Please report back the test results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@BubsMama 

When you say "tried doing the hit esc button but nothing"  are you saying that it doesn't open a menu with F2, F10 and other options? Just nothing on screen? Are you tapping it immediately after powering on?

You might look through the blink code charts to see if your caps lock has a pattern that matches. Scroll down the page to see chart for older laptops.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.