Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-b0000 (2W6B1AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi! Been having an issue where I can't have 2 nvme's while the OEM one has Optane running. Right now I'm about 90% sure it's a new firmware update's fault because:

- I've had this laptop for a couple weeks now, with both SSD's running, Optane on, no issues.

- Last night I got an update notification from Windows, for the first time ever I didn't check what it was doing and just left it updating.

- Today it wouldn't boot, complaining about Intel's Rapid storage not working.

- Back in the BIOS, turned Optane off, which wiped the OEM SSD. Still nothing. I knew it wouldn't boot on an empty drive though... but still. F.

- Removed the secondary SSD. Nothing.

- Without the second SSD installed, I downloaded my laptop's factory image using HP's Cloud Recovery Tool and a thumb drive (glad my wife's a hoarder, because I haven't used USB sticks for ages).

- All fixed. Seemingly.

- Re installed second SSD, Rapid Storage issues again.

- Instead of deactivating from BIOS, I removed the second SSD and my laptop booted. From there, I proceeded to disable Optane using the actual Windows app from Intel.

- With Optane off and my main drive not being wiped yet again (yay!), installed the secondary SSD one more time. No issues.

- Back in the Optane app, I can't re activate Optane ("no valid disk pairs in your system").

I'll keep Optane off in the meantime... tbh, I'd rather have the extra storage rather than optane; while I it's fine and all, it hasn't actually been THAT much of a difference. It's more into the "yeah, nice but not worth the PITA" category. I do want to eventually have it running again... just because "Optane" sounds kinda cool, even a little badass, so I just want to know it's running even if it's barely noticeable. It's cool to say "yeah, it's got Optane", at least as long no one asks how I'm liking it so far.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Just got out of a call with an HP technician, telling me the laptop won't handle Optane while running  on 2 SSD's. But before the F.26 update, I was running  my factory SSD w/Optane + extra SSD with no issues at all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.