Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
HP Recommended
Omen 15 dh0172TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm currently having a power on issue with my laptop, details as follow:

While I was just watching a video on Youtube, my laptop screen suddenly switched off, not dim but completely off. Though, audio was still playing in the background and I also were able to control it. At the time, the laptop was fully charged and was still connected to the AC adapter. I decided to do a restart by pressing and hold down the power button to shut down the laptop then power it on again.

From that moment, whenever I turn on the laptop, the screen remain black but I can hear fan noises. The fan noises, after a few seconds settle down a little bit. Because of the force shut down, keyboard lighting reverted back to factory configuration with 4 different colors (4-zone RGB) as apposed to my previous 1 white color setting. Strangely, no caps lock light indication when I pressed the key even via an external keyboard. Also with external keyboard, pressing either scroll lock or num lock responses nothing. However I can turn off or on keyboard backlight using Fn + F4, but this sometimes can fail for no reason. A short moment after the laptop is turned on, disk activity light locating on the right side rapidly flashes a couple of times then completely off. Once, I attempted to turn it on and leave it to see if anything would happen, the area right above the keyboard, below Omen logo slowly became pretty hot despite the fact that the fan was still spinning.

Please note that I did not make any change to software nor hardware of the laptop and I did not drop it a single time. It was working perfectly fine before this.

Here's a video about my issue, hope it can help:

HP Omen 15 power on issue (Youtube) 

I work a lot on this laptop so any help is much

appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: I've sent my laptop to HP service for further troubleshooting. I'll update the exact cause of this, hope it can help someone facing the same problem.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Mike39_

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that your notebook display is not turning on, I am glad to assist you.

Good to know that you sent the notebook to the service center for repair.

Keep me posted.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.