Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gt80
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC doesn't boot (freeze) when printer is connected by USB cable.

HP Pavilion dv7-6b41el
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

If I connect the printer USB cable on the PC it's doesn't boot and freeze on the first screen (is not possible enter to the BIOS setup). If I disconnect the USB cable and switch on the PC it boot normaly and than I can connect the USB cable and use the printer. I tryed to change USB cable, use a USB Hub but the problem persists. I tryed to connect the printer on another notebbok and all works fine. How can I solve the problem? Is necessary modify something on the BIOS setup?

Thank you

Luca

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,767 17,757 1,179 1,834
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @gt80

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to windows when the printer is connected.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

This is a basic safety feature on laptops and PCs. The idea is if Windows is corrupted or the hard drive fails the computer can still be booted from a recovery CD/DVD or USB drive. At switch on PCs run through a short self-diagnostic program called the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). One of its functions is to tell the computer where to look for boot files. Usually the CD/DVD or USB drive is first, and if no files are found it boots normally from the hard drive and loads Windows. The solution is to change the Boot Order so the hard drive is the first boot device.

Follow the steps in the below article to change the boot order.

http://hp.care/2nlzgNi

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
gt80
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi The_Fossette,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Sorry, In my previous post I forgot to say that I tried to change boot priority. Now USB device are the last choise and the first is internal HDD but also in this configuration it doesn't work...

Cheers!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,767 17,757 1,179 1,834
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @gt80

Thank you for posting back.

I recommend you to update the bios on your computer and check.

You can download and install the latest bios from the below link.

http://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Please refer to the below document on how to update bios on your computer.

http://hp.care/2nnpQ3Z

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation