Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy m6-1205dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I bought this PC used some time ago and it always had this issue, until now that I decided to do something about it. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 and erased all my data, but the issue still persists. It's simple: I turn on the PC, the blue HP logo comes on, and that's it... The loading circles never come on, unless I press a key. It doesn't matter which key I press, as long as I press one. Else, it'll just hang on the HP logo for as long as the battery lasts. I thought for sure a fresh OS install would do the trick, but I was wrong. Anyone here experienced this issue? It used to happen on an old HP laptop I had as well, but it turned out to be an error of my own after messing with disk checker... But I haven't done anything to this PC so I'm puzzled. Any help will be appreciated! 

tl;dr The laptop does indeed boot up fine, and works fine too. The issue is that, whenever I turn the PC on, as soon as the HP logo comes on, the rotating circles never show up until I press one of the keyboard keys. Then they show up and it starts booting up normally.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Neno325

Thank you for joining the HP Community

I see that you are running Windows 10 on your PC. Just wanted to know if you have installed a retail copy of Windows or OEM version of Widows. 

According to the product specifications, it shows that your PC has been shipped with Windows 8 - 64-bit and there are no software or drivers available for Windows 10. 

Since there are no software and driver available for Windows 10, If you wish to continue using Windows 10 then you would need to rely on the Windows generic drivers(Windows update).

For more details, please follow this link: HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Or else you may try to update the drivers using HP Support Assistant. 

To download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for replying. I am indeed running Windows 10 right now, a retail copy activated with my Microsoft account. To my knowledge all the required drivers installed correctly upon upgrading, at least the display, touchpad, fingerprint reader, etc. I checked with Windows Update and my PC is currently up to date. I also went ahead and installed HP Support Assistant as suggested, and went through all the steps to verify my drivers were up to date, even chatted with the AI assistant and followed all the suggestions. The only thing I wasn't able to do was reset the CMOS, one of the last suggestions from HP Assistant. Whenever I press Windows + V and Power, it would just boot to the HP logo. I did install Windows 10 from scratch, though, so all the BIOS settings are default to my understanding.

HP Recommended

@Neno325

Update the BIOS using the below document: 

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-m6-1200-notebook-pc-series/5330543/model/53...

Perform a BIOS defaults.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.

3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.

4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.

5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?

6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Use the following steps if your computer stops at a black screen with a blinking cursor after entereing the Windows password.

1. On the black screen, press Ctrl, Shift, ESC to open the Task Manager window.

NOTE: 

If the Task Manager window does not open, see Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

2. Click the Process tab.

3. Look for one or both of the following tasks:

Right-click the task, and then click the End task button. Windows should start normally.

• Run Once Wrapper

• Run Once Wrapper (32-bit)

4. On the Windows 8 start screen type Control Panel then click Control Panel in the search results. In Windows 7, click Start then type Control Panel, then click Control Panel in the search results.
  5. From the Windows Control Panel, go to Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs

Then use antivirus or malware prevention software to remove any malware from the computer.

Refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04572861 for Black or blank screen with blinking cursor after entering Windows password

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry I was away for so long. I just got back and did exactly as you instructed. I applied the default BIOS settings, but upon restarting I noticed that the issue was still present. The spinning circles did not appear until I pressed a key. This seems very odd. I didn't experience any weird behavior or blank screens, it still boots up fine, it's just the spinning circles issue. Also, my BIOS is already up to date.

HP Recommended

@Neno325

Have you tried the other steps as well?

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.