Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 15-ec0095nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this laptop new in December of 2019. It has worked perfectly up till this morning. I had to go into the hospital and left the laptop unplugged for several weeks while I recovered. The night before I went to the hospital I played on my laptop. This morning I tried to turn it on, but discovered it was dead. I plugged it in and turned it on and it booted to a black screen with a blue box asking for an Administrator Password or Power on Password. I never set the password, and have never seen anything like this before. I found instructions to clear the cmos on my laptop, and did so and was able to see a new screen saying cmos cleared and that it would reset into the bios. On reset however, it asks for the password again.

I called support and they said that I couldn't have set this password, and that it indicates that the motherboard is "affected" and that it would need to be replaced and that my warranty would not cover it. I cannot for the life of me understand why, or what could be wrong, and assume that the support member is just wrong. How can I reset or bypass this password? If there is something wrong with my laptop, why won't my warranty cover it? I haven't done anything to this laptop, there is no visible damage, and I am certain that upon inspection the motherboard would not be shown to be broken by any of my actions.

Help me! I was planning to give this laptop as a gift to my daughter for school, and now I have nothing.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi KyleM159

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

Regards. 

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.