Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion x2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Bios was updated and computer wouldn't reboot - came up with error "selected boot device failed".  Have tried using older versions of BIOS using rollback and ones from the HP site, but it seems the one it came with is no longer on the HP site.  

When bios flashed it goes into infinite loop. 

Can't access BIOS at all using F10!    

Error screen on start up: 

(Black screen)

"Boot device not found.  Please install an operating system on your hard disc.  "

Diagnostics performed extensive test on hard drive and all passed.

Does original recovery disc come with original BIOS file as the only way I can get hold of it is to buy a recovery disc from HP.

Want to see if that will do it or if I'd be wasting my money

Thanks in advance!

Mike  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Mike784

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

If the Hard drive test passed then it's an issue with the OS

This does not seem to be a  BIOS issue. If you have the Recovery Media you should be able to get this issue resolved by reloading the Factory Settings

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help

Surely the BIOS should come up with F10?   

The problem only started when the BIOS was flashed.

I would have to buy the recovery media but I don't want to find that it doesn't resolve it.   I've tried recovery disc for Windows 8.1 (original system) and Windows 10 (on computer when it was bought) but neither worked, presumably because of a corrupt BIOS

Mike

HP Recommended

I previously posted regarding  a BIOS update causing a boot lockup infinity loop and the disappearance of the BIOS at f10.  This was taken to a private messaging response but the responses are not really answering the question. 

I've been told that as the hardrive tests out ok the BIOS is not at fault.  Surely I should see the BIOS at f10 if it is not at fault?

When I asked this I was told to rollback the BIOS which I'd already done as per post below.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Post was as below: 

Bios was updated and computer wouldn't reboot - came up with error "selected boot device failed".  Have tried using older versions of BIOS using rollback and ones from the HP site, but it seems the one it came with is no longer on the HP site.  

When bios flashed it goes into infinite loop. 

Can't access BIOS at all using F10!    

Error screen on start up: 

(Black screen)

"Boot device not found.  Please install an operating system on your hard disc.  "

Diagnostics performed extensive test on hard drive and all passed.

Does original recovery disc come with original BIOS file as the only way I can get hold of it is to buy a recovery disc from HP.

Want to see if that will do it or if I'd be wasting my money

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

@Mike784

You will need to boot from the Recovery disc to get it to work

Are you able to boot to the BIOS? If you are unable to get to the BIOS, please follow the instructions I sent in the private message

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

What to do if I keep getting is" System Bios Being recovered then reboot system writing bios then completed it Reboots and again " " same system bios being recovered..

Rinse and repeat............."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.