9 7 1 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion dm4 Sleep is inop and power-on is abnormal

Pavilion dm4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion dm4, i5, 8gb ram, Win10 -

Even before the WIN10 upgrade, this desktop has failed to use Sleep and power on properly. 

SLEEP:  if i put to sleep, the machine sleeps, then shuts down.  Will not "wake" from keys, but must be powered-up.

Power:  From a power off state, the machine has to be put through an unusual sequence of pulling the AC cord, open/close the lid & and reinsert AC cord inorder to power on.  Will not start with cord out - though battery is okay (checked via utility).  Will not start from sleep mode by keys.  Will not start if lid is not cycled. 

I've looked through most of the Reset and Power diagnosis pages.  Stumped?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to the Support Forums! 

I would like to help you with the HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC not waking up after it goes into Sleep Mode @CigarXO. You had almost mentioned that you have to perform a series of steps to be able to power the Notebook on, because the battery will not start the Notebook without the AC Power Adapter plugged in. I understand that you already did a utility check on the battery and it was okay. 

What did you use for the testing?

What were the specific results?

I would need your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) to find specific documentation for you.

In the meantime, I have a document that will walk you through some troubleshooting steps that worked for others when they experienced the same issue. Please check out the Sleep and Hibernate Issues document. Some said that switching to Hibernate Mode worked for them.  

Have you tried to use the Power Troubleshooter?

Have you tried to update the drivers on your Notebook by using Windows Updates and the HP Support Assistant?

I hope this helps you! Please click the Accept as Solution button if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others. You can say thanks easily by clicking the Thumbs Up below!

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting, answers to the questions above and any other information you can provide that may help.

Look forward to hearing from you. 

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
CigarXO Tutor
Tutor
9 7 1 1
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Emerald Avenger -

Thanks for your reply.  Let me try to answer your questions to help diagnosis this mystery.  I've taken most of the steps you mentioned previously, but I was a bit more attentive and now notice the mysterious inability to "sleep" is a function of whether the ac adapter is plugged in.  The computer, sleep cmd and external keyboards/mouse are fully functional when on battery only.  The reason I'm trying to figure this out is I usually use the computer as a desktop with accessories:  external monitor (thus lid closed), external logitech wireless keyboard & mouse (I didn't think their power function buttons were working, but on battery they will sleep/poweroff/wake the computer, with acc cord they do not.  They are enabled in device manager).  So, it is a pain to have to unplug accessories and open the screen which is under a monitor shelf to power up.  To your questions:

Product:  dm4-1265dx

Prod Num:  XZ298UA#ABA

Orginally WIN 7 Home - I'm not Win10 64bit

Upgraded to 8gb ram

AC Cord: HP Authentic, SN F1291111088138

I used HP Support Assistant for testing of Battery and Power Troubleshooter. (see results below)

HP Assistant and Windows Device Manager say Drivers are up to date for all accessories.

I also tried WIN admin cmd: powercfg  -restoredefault... 

I also hard reset power with battery removed.

I've reviewed the Power Configuration in Settings and nothing looks unusual for monitor, sleep, lid or button settings.

I've walked through the Sleep and Hibernation Issues and nothing applies.

Again, the symptom is - If I put the computer to sleep, or let it hit the sleep parameter in Power Management settings with the AC adapter inserted, it appears to start to sleep then there is a clunk and the computer is powered off.  It does not progressively shutdown as if I'd Shutdown.

Thanks for your attention in this matter.

2016-08-03.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @CigarXO

You had said: "If I put the computer to sleep, or let it hit the sleep parameter in Power Management settings with the AC adapter inserted, it appears to start to sleep then there is a clunk and the computer is powered off. It does not progressively shutdown as if I'd Shutdown"

To me this sounds like it is going into Hibernate mode: Hibernate saves the state of all open applications to the hard disk, then completely powers off the computer. Please try Disabling hybrid sleep in Windows and see if that helps. 

Did you happen to follow the steps from the following sections: 

• Sleep and Hibernate issues after upgrading to Windows 10
  • The computer does not go into sleep or hibernate mode
  • Using Windows 10 Power troubleshooter

When you had checked the power settings, did you check all of the options to make sure they are set for when the Notebook is on battery and while it is plugged in?

I am doing my best to find solutions for you, please let me know what the results are. 

Thanks 🙂 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
CigarXO Tutor
Tutor
9 7 1 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hybrid Sleep in WIN Settings for battery and plugged in are both:  OFF

Hybernation in WIN Settings for battery and plugged in are both:  NEVER

I'll review the other references later, but believe I've been down that road.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey! 

I am just checking in. I wanted to know how you made out with the other references and to see if you were able to come to a resolution. 

Please let me know 🙂 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
CigarXO Tutor
Tutor
9 7 1 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for checking.

No further progress. 

The computer seems to sleep and power normally with Battery.

The comptuer still clunks into power-off/shutdown with AC power plugged in even with hybernation controls disabled.  I've not taken any steps requiring BIOS adjustments.  I cannot seem to get the correct syntax for command prompt power diagnosis.

For now, I partially open the lid, unplug the AC cord and press the power on button.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since there has not been a resolution as of yet, and you have performed all except the BIOS steps, I would suggest that contacting us may be a good idea. There may be some sort of tip or trick that someone from our phone team knows to fix the issue. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

I hope this helps! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

CigarXO Tutor
Tutor
9 7 1 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

EmeraldAvenger -

I patch this "fixin" computer stuff.  With 4 WIN10 computers in my home, seems I've become full-time IT dept for the family.  So many bugs in WIN10 and upgrades, so little time, so sorry for the delay.

Went over to the HP support site, but I'm out of warranty, so I can't access a phone number?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation