Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My laptop has been shutting down randomly. I have reset it entirely because of other problems, inclusively the fan wasn’t working properly so I cleaned it on the inside and it is now working perfectly. Assuming that the problem isn’t due to overheating, I can’t understand why my laptop shuts down randomly usually between 5-15mins after turning it on, when it isn’t even warm.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @Maryisr, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand your laptop shuts down randomly but after cleaning the laptop from inside your issue got resolved.

Don't worry I'll to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter?

Does the laptop shut down while you are in BIOS?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Most notebook computers have vents located around the case to allow air to flow through the case.

If these vents become clogged, or if heat-generating parts become covered with dust, the fan cannot cool the components properly due to which your laptop was shutting down randomly.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers on your PC and check if it helps.

You can try updating the drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click Advanced system settings.
Click the Advanced tab.
In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

If the issue persists try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot reducing heat inside the laptop.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.