Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 28 (17,299 Views)

Pavilion dv6000 Not Starting

I purchased my HP Pavilion dv6000 about 2.5 years ago. Yesterday, the computer started to freeze with the screen displaying a jumble of scrambled images. After restarting numerous times (with the problem continuing to happen), I got prompted before BIOS loaded to "Repair Windows" or something similar. I tried this twice, neither time worked. The few times I got Vista to load, I tried restoring to an older point and running virus scan. Nothing worked. I let it sit overnight, and tried again this morning. Only now, the computer wouldn't load anything. It machine would power up, but sit at a black screen. After trying to restart it a few more times, the unit refuses to power on at all. The LED's light up for 2 seconds, then the comp shuts off. It continues to cycle for a few minutes, then nothing.

Has anyone had this problem and knows of a solution? I talked to HP tech chat help earlier today, and they recommended that I take it to a service shop. I'd like to know if there are any easier/cheaper solutions that anyone knows of.

Thanks in advance for any help

0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 28 (17,274 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv6000 Not Starting

[ Edited ]

most of the DV 6000 purchased around the time you specify had faults, follow this link maybe it will help you http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01087277, i had a similar problem with my dv6000 and the motherboard had to be replace due to a faulty nvidia chip.

however u can try cheking whether the switch which turns the lcd on and off when u close or open the lid, it can get stuck sometimes.

Tutor
Message 3 of 28 (17,215 Views)

I also have a Pavillion dv600 with the same problem. On Jan 19 I downloaded several microsoft updates, including KB979202 (an update of Silverlight). A few minutes after my computer was suddenly shut down and all the restore attempts have failed. I have this idea that this update caused my Nvidia Geforce 7400 card to go crazy and to mess up the rest of the computer. Do you have a Geforce card?

Student
Message 4 of 28 (17,206 Views)

I have this exact problem.  HP KNEW about this problem but did not recall or notify anyone.  They did extend the warranty for 1 yr. but that only helps if you had the problem during that period of time.  Mine is now close to 3yrs. old and it is a paperweight!

Black screen, lights on but no one is home!!! It is a motherboard issue.  Had I known what kind of company HP is, I would not have bought a second laptop from them.  You can bet the first problem I have (and I do expect it to happen) I will be contacting them no matter what the deal is.  My first indication something was wrong was the wireless card "went bad".  BestBuy said it had to go back to HP and they would have it tied up for 6-8 wks.  I didn't want to be that long without a computer so I went the external wireless route.  That worked OK but then the problems started about 3 months ago.  A friend got it up and running after downloading the "bios fix".  It only booted one time after that for a short period of time (hours) and then blinked off and is now dead.  I think it is unconscionable for HP to not notify registered owners of the problem, and either replace or fix the problem.  Do they not think the word gets out about a bad company/product???They need to wake up.

Student
Message 5 of 28 (16,903 Views)

My husband and I have had this HP DV6000 laptop for a little over 2 years.  Now, it will not work, black screen.  It tries to boot up, then powers off, and back on,, but the screen will not come on.  I am extremely disgusted that HP will not stand by its product and replace this laptop or fix it!!! I want to join a class action lawsuit against them!!! The government should get involved just like with Toyota, and make HP fix everyone's lap tops as many times as necessary free of charge!!!  If there is not a class action lawsuit already started, I want to start one!!!! Never Never again will I purchase HP products of any kind!!!

Honor Student
Message 6 of 28 (16,840 Views)

I and many others have the same problem with the same product. I am researching any options regarding getting these computers repaired at HP's cost. I will post if I locate any pertinent information. Good Luck with the customer service.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 28 (16,750 Views)

i just started having the bootup problem..i've had mine in the shop and

was told it was fixed..still a problem.. hope hp will fix..

Honor Student
Message 8 of 28 (16,716 Views)

hi,i have a dv6000 that i cann't use now..i got the run around

on support..the way the they word it is that the service enhancement

starts the day you buy it and only last 24 months..why include the first

year that has a year warranty..i think it should have started after the first

warranty ends...

I HOPE EVERY PERSON THAT READS THIS WILL TELL ALL

ABOUT HP AND THERE DOUBLE CROSSING .. 

Student
Message 9 of 28 (16,632 Views)

Pavilion dv6000 Black Death Screen

At least you could reboot the Microsoft Blue Death Screen!

CherylCCRN : DITTO:  Can't believe it's so "normal" for this identical problem to arise.  My WI-FI died over a year ago but I lived with that.  A blank screen - that's another issue. I even bought another HP and can state with some certainty that I will not buy or recommend this company to anyone I know.

This must really be a bad design and one that should have been recalled.  At least we have a choice in the future as to what to buy.

Buyer Beware-

Tutor
Message 10 of 28 (16,627 Views)

I have seen lots of problems like this lately. I am also looking for a few of these same laptops to purchase for parts for the three I have. Please contact me if you are interested in selling these broken units. HP is not very helpful with these faulty systems and so they are an ever increasing problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation