Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (87 Views)

Pavilion logs in but black screen. (Very weird)

Product Name: pavilion 15-p007tx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
So this is a strange one. My pavilion will log in, however- while it's logging in, the dots that go round in a circle will freeze for a minute before fully logging in. When it does log in, sometimes it will be my background with apps etc.. but if I select an app, the cursor will have the round blue loading circle, but not do anything else, and pretty much freeze up. I can still move it, but not do anything else.

Most of the time though, it will log me into a black screen. I can still see the task bar, I have a hideaway one so it pops up when I hover over it. But there is no info in the bottom right corner exept for the time, and there are no apps on the task bar like there'd usually be. I can't write anything to search in the startup menu, and if I try, the cursor just turns into the round blue loading circle again.

I've tried the battery out and holding the power button-to no avail. I tried to ctrl-alt-delete, it doesn't open and if it does, it's behing a black screen..
I tried to refresh with system recovery, but it just tells me, "There was a problem refreshing your PC. No changes were made."
Under advanced options, there is an option called Startup Repair, but I'm worried about my files. Any help would be truly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 2 of 3 (81 Views)

Re: Pavilion logs in but black screen. (Very weird)

*except *behind
HP Support Agent
Message 3 of 3 (46 Views)

Re: Pavilion logs in but black screen. (Very weird)

Hey there! @PavilionMax, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand your laptop boot into a black screen.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Are you able to boot into BIOS?

Try performing a hard reset on your PC.

To perform a power reset on a laptop with a removable battery, use the following steps:
Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.
Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.

Also, refer this article further troubleshoot black screen issues.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! Smiley Happy

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation