03-29-2012 10:48 AM
HP Pavillion dm4-1063cl
Windows Home Premium 64-bit
all Windows and driver updates installed
RAM upgraded from 4 to 8Gb
My laptop would not wake up after it goes into sleep mode. Seems to only happen when it's running on battery. I can leave it on with the lid open for a few minutes, and when I come back to it and push the power button, the power and wireless lights start blinking about every 2 seconds, but the system does not come back on. The only way to reboot is by removing the battery (and losing all the work). It does not matter how the laptop gets into sleep mode - by pressing the power button, closing the lid, or leaving it on, the result is the same.
Hybrid sleep mode is off. Changing the display from ATI GPU to Intel GPU and back does help. I spent an hour on the phone with Costco tech support and the best they could suggest is doing a full factory restore - I doubt this would help though, seems like a BIOS/hardware problem.
Any help or suggestions highly appreciated!
04-11-2012 11:06 AM
04-13-2012 01:26 AM
Some other things I tried:
- clean boot, with no startup items
- reverted to the original BIOS version F.08
- went through all troubleshooting steps suggested here: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html
No change so far. I also tried downloading and installing the latest Intel HD 3000 driver directly from Intel, but the driver refused to install because it was "not certified for this system".
At this point the problem can in be the hardware, BIOS, or drivers. Even if I did a full system restore and the restore process removes the offending driver, chances are a Windows or an HP update will bring it back in a few days. What to do?
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)