Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Plugged In, Not Charging - Works when Plugged In

Pavilion 15-p010dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am not sure if the battery is the problem, but it seems to be. When plugged in, the battery will not charge UNLESS the computer is shut down. Then it seems to charge. When turned back on, it might charge for a minute or two but then it's back to the message "plugged in, not charging." The battery life stays consistant when plugged in, it just won't charge any higher. At the moment it is stuck at 87% after dying on me this morning. I was working perfectly last night. 

I have taken the battery out and turned the computer on with only the AC plugged in and it does work. My theory is it's the battery but I'm not sure. 

The last thing I did was run a battery test and an AC adapter test through the UEFI menu. Both passed.

Can someone please help? I am so lost on what I should do now!

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
15439 15384 1437 3418
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Plugged In, Not Charging - Works when Plugged In

CluelessTech88

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about your charging problem with the laptop and wanted to help.

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try for testing the charger: HP Notebook PCs - Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter | HP® Customer Support

If the charger checks out, and given that the battery already checks out, then it's likely some connection inside the case is broken, and to check that out, you would need to take the laptop to an HP Service Center.

Here is a link with information on HP Service Centers:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

Good Luck

========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please click "Accept As Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on the left of the Reply button to say thanks fopr my help.
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation