cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Powe On Password required all of the sudden

HP Recommended
HP 17-ak061nr

My laptop will not boot past screen asking for power on password.  It was working fine...  Went on vacation for a week (wasn't used during this time). Came home and can't get into my computer. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
25,823 25,756 2,359 5,583
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LysaPics13 

Passwords simply can NOT be recovered; instead, they have to be reset.

If your PC reset your password on you, we can not help in that because we have no access to either the original or the new password.

We are not permitted to assist in resetting passwords because HP considers that a violation of customer privacy. HP can assist in resetting passwords but if your original warranty has expired, they will charge you for the assistance.
--------------------
For BIOS or power-on password resets, because the password is encoded onto a chip on the motherboard, replacement of that motherboard is required. For more information, read this HP thread: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06368824.

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do it for you -- we can not assist in that in any way.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation