Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Probook 440 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was trying to set finger print authentication for Windows operating system. But Instead i ended up doing it for  Power-on and the finger print is not working after i rebooted the Laptop. Please, can anyone help me fix it.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @emeraldcodes

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

You sent me a private messaging asking for the SMC.bin file.

Could you please elaborate what kind of power-on authentication you have configured ?

POST (classic power-on), BIOS access password, DriveLock password ?

Would you be able to take some pictures using a camera or smartphone and post them back here in your next reply ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hello @IT_WinSec

It comes up immediately you press the power button,  no other key works,  you can not even go to the Bios,  or boot from a pendrive, nothing at all.  

Attached is an image of the screen. Power on authentication snapshotPower on authentication snapshot

Thank you 

HP Recommended

If you choose/hit the "Password" option, does it prompt you for a password to start Windows ? Are you able to login there with it ?

• If you are (positive), then you can load Windows and eventually restart the PC. After restarting the computer, immediately begin hitting the Esc button repeatedly (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo or screen appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

- Choose F10 to open the BIOS settings.

- Try going to "Security" tab and remove power-on authenitcation

Let me know how it goes ; keep me posted.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Have the same problem and i cant even get to HP support.

Clicking on the link, i get the Access Denied  message "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

This is a nightmare. Perhaps i should have gone with Apple products

HP Recommended

I got stuck in this edited. ted situation too. It happens on my probook 430g6. I just got it half of month and did nothing on BIOS, but this edited. happens on my PC.

The day before POA prompts out of screen, I logged in PC by fingerprint. 

Except BIOS, is there any way to set up this POA password? On HP security assistance software? or any other app?  What can I do?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Fingerprint not recognized. It is not clear to me which is supposed to be the password, I have tried everything: the pin for the computer, the windows password...

HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.