Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 650 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our organization is upgrading computers to Windows 10.  We use bitlocker, and newer computers require UEFI boot with bitlocker, so our imaging process changes the BIOS settings for this.   I have upgraded several HP Probook 650 G1 to Windows 10 without issue, always updating the BIOS first, as the upgrade fails with an older BIOS.   However, I have two HP Probook 650 G1 that have an issue once they went to Windows 10, and they have the newer BIOS versions 1.45 and 1.46.

The issue is, when you turn the laptop on while docked, it sits at the "Press the ESC key for Statup Menu" forever, no keys work, it never boots.  If you shut the laptop down , take off the dock, it will boot fine, then can be docked.  I have tried updating all the drivers, I have tried to cold boot the laptop (hold power down for 1 minute), and cold boot the dock, I cannot downgrade the BIOS, it always fails.  I cannot see any settings in BIOS that I could change, UEFI boot order is OS Boot Manager.  Could there be a problem with BIOS 1.45 & 1.46 using UEFI boot on the dock?

Boot orderBoot orderport optionsport optionsnever gets past this on docknever gets past this on dock

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@NS-DaveT

Hopefully, someone will come along with a solution for this -- but my suspicion is (based on my experience) is that is simply is not solveable -- IF you are using a USB-plugged dock, not a dock with a proprietary HP plug.

I ran into this same situation with a similar laptop that would try to boot from anything plugged into the USB port, no matter what it was.  And, of course, if that was NOT bootable media, it would just hang there, indefinitely.

My only recourse was what you are doing -- waiting until after boot to plug in the USB device.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hp 650 g1,  bios updated, chipset updated, no docking station (doesn’t work with one).

steps that fixed:

1. Reordering boot

2. Disable usb boot 

3. Restarted computer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.