Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
M4Y77PA#ACJ
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Windows 10 is installed as OEM on this machine.

1. Can I transfer the Windows License to another machine?

.2.In case I need to reinstall WIn 10 on same machine but different disk , how do I do it? I have Win 10 recovery usb stick.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If that is the case, when you go to reinstall W10 and you get to the part of the installation where it asks for a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate since Microsoft has a record of your notebook previously being upgraded to W10.

If you ever want to know what the product key and version of W8.1 your notebook came with, I have zipped up and attached a free utility below, that will provide that information.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You cannot transfer the OS to another machine. 

OEM licenses are tied to the PC the OS originally came with.

You can only transfer retail licenses to another PC.

To reinstall W10 on your PC, boot from the USB recovery drive and it will install.

You do not need the product key to install W10, as it is in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Originally it was Windows 8.1 I made a free upgrade offerred by MS to Win 10. I wasnt able to see any License  entry in BIOS.

HP Recommended

If that is the case, when you go to reinstall W10 and you get to the part of the installation where it asks for a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate since Microsoft has a record of your notebook previously being upgraded to W10.

If you ever want to know what the product key and version of W8.1 your notebook came with, I have zipped up and attached a free utility below, that will provide that information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.