Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-bw500 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having an ongoing problem with a relatively new laptop, in that it spontaneously reboots.  No screen of death, no error message, nothing - just black, then reboot.  No chance to save work, either, which is the major thing.

I'm not super techie, but looking in Event Viewer it seems like there was a "fatal error" with the following details:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 03/01/2018 22:43:36
Event ID: 20
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE

Description: A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: 11
Processor APIC ID: 0

This is not a new problem, but this is the first time I've associated it with this error message.  Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've had this occur twice in the last 12 hours, and obviously it's a major problem.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I'm getting basically the same errors on a Pavilion that my wife uses. We started having the spontaneous reboots after installing Windows 10 1709. Looking at the dump file the restarts generated it seems to point to the AMD CPU. 

We did have issues with Malwarebytes not being able to start Web protection so I removed and reinstalled. So far, so good. I checked for updates with the HP Support Assistant but there was nothing new. I found a new AMD display driver checking with Device Manager however. Maybe that will also fix some of the issues. 

HP Recommended

This is happening to me too after getting my laptop four weeks ago. It has happened four times in the past week. Has your problem been resolved ot still ongoing?

HP Recommended

So far I'm so good. I worked with the Support folks who verified I had the latest drivers and firmware. They had me run the system diagnostics that showed my hardware was good. Finally, I was left with doing a restore back to factory defaults. Ugh. Took most of an afternoon to reinstall everything and then bring it back up to Windows 10 1709. So far, after about a week, I'm not had any blue screens / restarts - yet. Holding my breath. My warranty runs out in two months so I'll be keeping a watch on things in case I need to return it for service. 

Good luck on your issue.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue on HP 15bw, and when i check event viewer. i found the same error you mentioned..

did you find any resolutions?

HP Recommended

I contacted HP support by live chat using the HP Support Assistant. The agent I was talking to stated that this was a known issue with the graphics adapter. They took control and made some changes. Since then it has worked perfectly.

HP Recommended

I didn't find anything particular based on my crash. I did change a Fast Startup setting in the power settings section that I'm hoping will help. It's been 4 days and so far no crashes. 

I did, update my AMD graphics driver in hope that it may also help out. Fingers are crossed!

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my new HP laptop. Support was unable to resolve and suggested I return it to the store. which I did.  I exchanged it for the same model laptop and am having the same issue with the second one. Support  has tried updating the BIOS on both systems. I asked them to change the fast start option while they were on it. I am hoping that this resolves the issue of unexpected shut downs.

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear about your problems on this. I finally disabled the Fast Start on our system and that seems to have fixed it. I've made a vow never to buy anything with an AMD CPU in the future to avoid this. I work in IT and we use HP exclusively but everything we have is Intel only. I should have realized our office did this for a reason!

Best of luck with your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.