cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
JakerYang
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Random bluescreen, failure to boot Windows, and dump file creation failed

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, my laptop has started behaving very strangely, and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out why.  Symptoms are in title.  Every once in a while (particularly on startup), my laptop would do the Windows blue screen with the 😞 face and restart itself.  Every time it does this, there's a pretty good chance that Windows will fail to boot (saying something about no boot device found), which usually just leads to me tapping the power button to turn it off again.  When I tried to debug this problem in Windows, I see the error "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."

I've tried debugging Windows, but nothing came out of that.  Then I tried running the tests from my BIOS (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2854458-2733239-16), and nothing came out of that.  Then I got tired of this, backed up all my files, and just hit reset my computer via Windows menu.  I also told it to completely wipe all the data on this machine and reinstall Windows from cloud.  For a week or so, I thought this fixed the problem, but now it's acting up again, even worse than ever.

I guess at this point it might be a hardware problem, but I don't know enough about this sort of stuff to say for sure.  I would really appreciate any sort of help/tip regarding this issue.

And if it is a hardware problem, does anyone know how I might go about solving this, preferably without just having to buy a new machine?  Does HP do repair/trading with this sort of stuff?

3 REPLIES 3
Echo_Lake
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,697 29,627 1,424 1,489
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JakerYang

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing a system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
JakerYang
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the help.  I have already completely reset my pc, but that didn’t resolve the problem, which lead me to believe it might be a problem with the hardware.  I have already been in contact at my local uBreakiFix.  I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Echo_Lake
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,697 29,627 1,424 1,489
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JakerYang

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. This sounds like hardware related issue with the computer and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation