cancel
ooberpappa Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Don't have Recovery partition and Recovery Manager to Reset Factory Settings

My laptop crashed but I was bale to recover my data from the drive using an external cable to the drive on my desktop PC.  I can see the recovery partition, can I make a recover USB from the drive without it being in my laptop?

10 REPLIES 10
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Don't have Recovery partition and Recovery Manager to Reset Factory Settings

Hi there, 

Do you not have Recovery discs?

How did you previously load Windows 7 on your Notebook?

The media creation software allows only  one system image to be created. If you created a set of recovery discs, you can not create a system image on a USB drive. The media creation software requires an uncorrupted recovery partition (FACTORY_IMAGE D:). Uncorrupted means that the recovery partition has  not been modified or removed.

That being said, at this point, I cannot guarantee that the image will work on your USB. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
ooberpappa Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My laptop came with Windows 8 pre-installed, then I upgraded to windows 10.  The hard drive failed to boot and I removed it from the laptop.  I have it connected to my desktop with a USB 3.0 cable and can get to the backup partition.  Can I make the recovery USB from that partition?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @ooberpappa

You have a different Operating System installed than the original poster on this Forum had. Do you own a HP Pavilion g6-2310ex Notebook PC also?

If, the display remains blank or black when attempted to be powered on, and there is no fan or disc noise, there may be a hardware issue. The computer must be able to recognize the hard drive and optical disc drive before you attempt to do a recovery.

From my understanding, you cannot create a USB recovery from another computer. It has to be from the Notebook that the hard drive is intended for. 

If the fan and hard drive can be heard and the LEDs blink, but the computer cannot display the desktop, you can run hardware diagnostic tools by turning on the power and immediately pressing the f2 key.

You may be able to purchase recovery discs for your Notebook if you did not create them initially. Please read the Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive document for more information. 

Otherwise, I would need more information to be able to assist you properly. Such as: 

• Your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?)
  • Which Windows Operating Systems you are running currently
  • Do you have any blinking LED lights when the hard drive is connected to the Notebook?
  • Have you tried to do any Hardware testing?
  • If yes, what were the detailed results from the tests?
  • If no, please try and perform the extensive hardware testing. 
  • Can you hear the fan running when you turn the Notebook on?
  • Did you receive any error messages?
  • Have you tried to perform a hard reset?
  • Have you done any updates lately?
  • When did this start to happen?
  • Did you try to reseat the memory modules?

Please re-post and let me know. 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
ooberpappa Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My model is M6-N010DX.  

The hardware test does not get past the Hard Drive, fails, then says Smart Drive failure. 

Yes the fan is running when you turn it on.  I can get into the BIOS just fine, just cant get to the OS.

I pulled memory and hard drive out, reseated both and still did the same thing.  

This occured 1 week ago when I tried to boot from being shut down for a couple days.

Can I still get the OS onto a USB from the recovery partition?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No. You cannot get the OS onto a USB from the recovery partition in another computer. You would have had to create it before the hard drive became corrupt. You also mentioned that the hard drive testing had failed. Which generally speaking, would mean that you need to replace your hard drive. 

Here is a document for you to read called Hard Drive Failure Errors: Imminent Failure, Smart, BIOHD, HD535, etc

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
ooberpappa Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there any way for me to get the Windows 8 Activation Code from the machine with a bad hard drive? Can I give you the serial number and you get me the activation code, Microsoft said I can reinstall windows 10  if have the code for you.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

No. You may be able to purchase recovery discs for your Notebook though. Please read the Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive document for more information on obtaining recovery media.

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
ooberpappa Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purchased the computer and I should have access to the activation code, I onw the PC and operating system.  This laptop isnt even used once a month, I have had it for 2 years, with barely any use and the hard drive died, not very happy with HP products right now.  Dissapointed that i'm being treated as  a disposable customer.  I should have the code, just like every other OS that I own.  

Here is what Microsoft says:

Microsoft.jpg

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ooberpappa

I understand your frustration. Your Notebook came with Windows 8 preinstalled. The licence key that you had would have been for Windows 8. You would not have a Windows 10 licence key specifically, unless you have purchased a new Windows 10 key

The OS and the Windows Licence key that came with your Notebook is provided/generated from Microsoft.  They are both stored in the Recovery media that you create when the Notebook is purchased. The older models had a sticker on the Notebook itself that provided you with the licence key.

If you do not have that sticker on your Notebook, and did not create recovery media for your Notebook previously, your only options are to contact Microsoft for help with licence key inquires, or you are welcome to contact us for more information about recovery media for the Operating System that your Notebook came with. 

I hope that this helps! 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation