Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Re: Gray Screen Appears After Turning On Laptop, Frozen ( HP b011nr )

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having a similar issue on my HP pavilion since the last few hours. If anybody found a solution to this, it would be really helpful. The screen has been grey all day with everything else working perfectly fine. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 360
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @Ayush14, 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I would be more than happy to help you! I read your post and I understand that you had replied to a previous thread called Gray Screen Appears After Turning On Laptop, Frozen ( HP b011nr ). There were many great steps and documents given by @Malygris1 on the previous post such as: 

"The screen may not be black, but much of this could still help.
Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot

Here are some other sources I found for you to check out.
Resolving Problems with Notebook Displays (Windows 7 and Windows 😎
Diagnosing a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) for Damage ...
Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎
Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 😎"

Did you happen to try any of these steps?

Have you connected the Notebook to an external monitor or TV? Please try this step first to see if the display on the external Monitor or TV is gray also. 

Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues.

Have you tried performing a hard reset?

Did you receive any error messages?

Do you have any beep codes or blinking LED lights

How long has this been happening for?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

When you press the power button, do you hear a fan spinning sound?

Do you see any text on the screen?

Are you able to do a Hardware Test?

f you are able to get the Notebook to turn on using the steps above, this would be a great step for you to try. If not, that is understandable.  

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to help! Please just re-post with the information required from above. Please let me know the detailed results of the troubleshooting steps provided. Please do not forget to also include your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) and Which Windows Operating Systems you are running

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking the appropriate post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

Thank you! 

Have a wonderful day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi. Thanks for the help. Connecting the laptop to an external PC, it works. The display is there. Does that mean that the LCD is gone? Or is there any other way to restore it? The laptop is HP pavilion 15 p028tx.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 360
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey! 

That was a super quick response! Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. You asked if the display working on another monitor means that the LCD is gone. The answer is not necessarily. If an image displays on the external monitor, there might be a graphics driver conflict with the HP Pavilion 15-p028tx Notebook PC LCD display.

With the external monitor connected, go to the HP Pavilion 15-p028tx Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads page to download and install the latest graphics and chipset drivers. Please make sure to double check or change the Operating System to the one that you are using on your Notebook. If there is an updated BIOS version available, use the steps in Updating the BIOS to install it.

You may need to restart your Notebook twice and run the HP Support Assistant and Windows Updates also. 

If you have updated the chipset and graphics drivers and BIOS, but the Notebook display still remains black, the LCD might be defective. Contact HP for technical assistance or send the notebook for service.

Please let me know how all of these steps go. 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey.

i am on the link for the driver installation. now, am i supposed to download all of those or some particular drivers only? if so, then which ones will they be? 

thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 360
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which Windows Operating Systems you are running

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi.

i think it was a fault on my side that i didn't make myself clear.

i am well aware of my windows version. but am i supposed to install all the  drivers or some selctive ones for the screen?

while the rest can be updated later on.

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 360
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, 

You were clear, maybe it was I who was not. I understand that you would like to know which drivers you need to download. I would love to be able to provide you with that information but unfortunately in my first post I had asked you for your Model Number and Which Windows Operating System you are running. 

You had provided me with the Model Number, which is fantastic and appreciated. However, be able to provide the proper drivers to you and continue to assist you, I would need to know Which Windows Operating Systems you are running.

Thank you 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Oh. I am sorry.
The operating system is windows 10 single language. Yep, that's it.
Sorry.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 360
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is no problem at all! 🙂 Here are the Windows 10 drivers from the HP Pavilion 15-p028tx Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads page for you. 

BEFORE you download these manually, please do your Windows Updates and run the HP Support Assistant. They may pull them him automatically. That way you aren't updating only one component at a time but rather doing them all at the same time. 

NVIDIA GeForce 830M Graphics Driver: 

This package contains the driver that enables the NVIDIA Graphicsin supported notebook models that are running a supported operatingsystem.

File name: sp67265.exe

Released: Jul 25, 2014

Updated:  Oct 25, 2015

Version 9.18.13.3325

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver: 

This package contains the Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver for supported notebook models and operating systems. This utility enables the operating system to show the correct name for the installed Intel hardware in the Microsoft Windows Device Manager.

File name: sp73543.exe

Released: Nov 6, 2015

Updated:   Mar 6, 2016

Version 10.0.22.0 Rev.A

You may need to restart your Notebook twice after doing updating these two manually and then please run the HP Support Assistant and Windows Updates also to see if there are further updates that need to be done. 

Please use and follow these steps exactly to proceed with Updating the BIOS

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

This package provides an update to the System BIOS. The update installs on supported notebook models using a supported Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is necessary to restart the system to complete the installation.

File name: sp67052.exe

Released: Jun 30, 2014

Updated:  Apr 28, 2016

Version F.07

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation