Did you mean: 
ChrisKaye
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: need to access advanced options for insydeh20 f.50 rev 5.0

I, like you, am an IT professional - the InsydeH20 Rev 5.0 BIOS update on my Envy x360 has obliterated the Advanced BIOS settings screen disabling and removing the Intel Virtualization menu option which has stopped all my VMs from working and removed the option to disable the stupid Action keys.

When programming and using Excel, I am constantly using the F-key shortcuts, I don't want to have to hold the Fn key down everytime I want to edit a cell or run the debugger in an IDE - I rarely adjust my brightness or volume from the keyboard and would be happy to hold Fn down to do this.

Please can DM me and provide the key sequence to press to active the now hidden advanced menu or log this as a bug with HP to have the advanced menu put back, or point me where I can get a 3rd Party BIOS update to enable these features, as I am seriously behind on a lot of project work now - I am self employed and can't afford to purchased another laptop that gives me these functions right now :,(

4 REPLIES 4
Level 15
Level 15
18,858 18,800 1,757 4,155
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ChrisKaye 

Sorry, but OEMs lock out the advanced BIOS options to prevent customers from making changes to options that can destabilize or otherwise damgage the PC -- and then send it back for repair under warranty claiming they did nothing to it.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ChrisKaye
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

But I don't understand why the two options:

Disable/Enable Virtualization

Disable/Enable Action Keys

Can destroy a laptop to the extent it requires a warranty claim - why were these removed?

Can I speak to anyone in support to get my older bios version restored? (Is there a way to roll-back?)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
18,858 18,800 1,757 4,155
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ChrisKaye 

I do understand that some of the Advanced options are fairly harmless -- but some are not -- and OEMs take the easier (for them) approach and simply lock out the whole Advanced tab.

We are not HP Tech Support but only a self-help community forum, so there is no one here you can speak to.

If your PC is out of warranty, HP will charge you UP FRONT to talk to anyone -- but if you want to contact them anyway, here is the information:  

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ChrisKaye
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks,

I'll try support, I took the extended warranty when I bought my HP 😉

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation