Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8740w
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

My EliteBook 8740w started some serious performance troubles a few days ago - every now and then it's would freeze and jerk for a while (say 5 minutes) and then work alright for a while and repeat.

I tried cleaning with Antimalware, Avast, Ccleaner without luck.

I then did a clean installation of Windows 8 64-bit from a DVD, and still no change, so I suspected this might be an hardware issue.

A ran HP System Diagnostics, and the Run-In test fails with a message Disk not Installed. However, the Hard Disk test passes ok. I tried removing/reseating the hard drive - no effect.

Start Up test fails too with Disk not installed.

Before the clean installation, the OS would crash BSoD every now and then about a minute after waking up from hibernation, with an error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, however it's not happened since the clean installation, so I don't know if it's of any relevance.

I did the Windows memory diagnostic test with full setting, and it always stops at 21%. Tested both memories separately (only one plugged in at the time) with same results.

Temperature is normal, so it's propably not a heat issue.

OS boots ok, but starts the trobles in a few minutes or so.

My HD is ADATA 256Gb SX900 SSD

Memory 2x4GB Samsung.

All other components are standard.

Serial number (removed content) 

Any ideas, what to do next? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I started to suspect that the hard drive is faulty, so I tried with another hard drive (Seagate 500Gb) to see if it passes the Run-In test, and the HP System Diagnostic will not start at all, when this hard drive is connected.  Do I have a problem with the mother boad?

HP Recommended
With some difficulties I managed to run a memtest86 V6. The trick is to boot in UEFI, otherwise my system could not find the bootable USB.
Memtest86 took some 12 hours and the results were clean, no errors in the memories.

Any ideas, is it time to dismantle the laptop for parts?
I have to say, if it turns out to be the motherboard, 5 year lifespan isn't too flattering for an elitebook.
Not to mention the lack of help from customer support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.